An inheritance. It is something I think we would know a lot about but, then again, we might need a refresher course on the subject. Why? Well note what Peter writes in his first letter,
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you . . .” (I Peter 1:3-5)
I tend, and maybe you do also, to forget sometimes that when God saved my soul, when He “begot (me) . . . to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” that He also, at that same moment “begot (me) . . . to an inheritance.” Not just saved but promised — “an inheritance . . . in heaven.”
Our English word “inheritance” means, “something, as a quality or characteristic, received from . . . predecessors.” When we inherit something we “take or receive by succession or will, as an heir.” We “come into possession” of something, the “inheritance” being that “something.”
Heirs . . . that’s what we are, and we are heirs because of what God has done for us in Christ. And we are partakers of “an inheritance” that is “reserved in heaven” for you and for me.
And there are three very important things to notice about this inheritance you and I now have. I say this with the reminder that earthly inheritances and the receiving of them can often create a lot of problems. Problems that may be of a nature that the inheritance we thought we might receive ends up in court, or is changed for some reason, or is manipulated away by some scheming family member, and as a result . . . there is no inheritance.
But, just as a believer cannot lose their salvation, neither can we lose our inheritance. And such are the promises of God upon which we exercise “a living hope.” Note how Peter describes this inheritance . . .
It is “incorruptible”
It is “undefiled”
And it “does not fade away”
We are promised by the all-sufficient Word of God that our inheritance that is “reserved in heaven for [us]” is as sure as anything could possibly be. It is confirmed! It is sealed! It is an “incorruptible . . . undefiled . . . inheritance . . . that does not fade away.”
As the old hymn says, we are “joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod,” assured by His power, a power that is assured by “the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” and assured that we can say . . . Oh what an INHERITANCE we have!
Does it not cause your heart to leap . . . to bring forth praise? Oh Yes!
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge