Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the psalms we read,
- “You thought that I was like you” (Psalm 50:21 – NASB)
Before God saved me, before He illuminated His Word to me, I lived a life steeped in seeking self-gratification. And as I went about this course of life I purported to know God, having settled on my own understanding of who He was and what He was like and what He thought and how He went about doing things. All of this so-called knowledge, this so-called understanding was based on what I “thought.” I had self-servingly made God to be as I “thought” He should be, the obvious intent always being that He be suitable to my way of thinking, my way of doing things. I was so smug in my self-righteousness, so arrogant in how I would, when asked, go about explaining God, who He was and what He was all about.
The day came, and thank God it did, when this haughty person was humbled down, brought to my knees by the conviction of the of the Word of God, the Holy Spirit using it to cause me to cry out, “O God in heaven, yes, I am a sinner! I am guilty as charged by Your Word! I am guilty of sinning against You! I repent O Lord!” I called out for God to save me through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, placing my faith in Jesus, in who He was and what He had done. I knew then and I know now that on that evening, down on my knees before God, I was born again by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit. And then . . . I started to know,
- “‘For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,’ declares the LORD. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'” (Isaiah 55:8-9 – NASB)
If you would read Psalm 50, you would see that the text I used from it is taken from a context that is a rebuke. It now serves as a reminder to this believer. I had at one time, in my lost state,”thought that” He “was like” me. I had “thought” that His “thoughts” were like my “thoughts,” that His “ways” were like my “ways.”
As the Spirit works to conform me into the image of Christ I am now acutely aware of how little I know about the God I once claimed to know so well. But now, in my new state in Christ, I have determined to know Him, His “thoughts” and His “ways.” I have, by His grace, determined to gain understanding of Him through the counsel of His Word, for . . .
- “From Thy precepts I get understanding” (Psalm 119:104 – NASB)
Brethren, our Father in heaven has “higher thoughts” and “higher ways,” and I would suggest to you that He would have us strive to know those “thoughts” and to know those “ways.” That said, it is noted for us to beware, to beware that we would ever think He is “like” us (cf. Numbers 23:19).
Have a good day . . . and take time to be in God’s Word, reading, pondering, applying yourself to knowing His higher thoughts and His higher ways.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas