From Matthew’s gospel, we read,
- “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor is a slave above his master” (Matthew 10:24 – NASB)
Are you a believer, one born again of God’s spirit, a Christian? Then you are “a disciple” of the Lord Jesus Christ. And if you are “a disciple” then you apply yourself to following Christ, learning what He has to say in His Word and obeying what He has to say in His Word.
Discipleship is the mark of every true believer! Getting that discipleship right is something that needs to be a priority to us.
There are truths regarding this discipleship in our text, certain truths that the Lord teaches us that are important for us to understand. Note the two-fold relationship we have with the Lord Jesus Christ . . .
- We are the “disciple” and He is the “teacher” – The word “disciple” means “a learner, a pupil” (Zodhiates). The “disciple” of Christ is a “pupil” and Christ is the “teacher.” Jesus is the One who does the instructing to the “pupil.” Through His Word, the Bible, the Lord Jesus Christ teaches His “disciples.” It is our duty as “disciples” to be in the “teacher’s” Word and learning what our “teacher” has to teach us, and to believe what He teaches us, and to apply what He teaches us.
- We are the “slave” and He is the “master” – This word “slave” means just that! It is the Greek word doulos and it means, “one who is in a permanent relation of servitude to another, his will altogether consumed in the will of the other” (Zodhiates). This indicates that we are not our own but that we belong to Christ, He is our “Master” and we are his “slave,” given over to Him, His will, His way. The “disciple” has denied self, taken up their cross (indicating death to self) and is following Jesus, accepting that they are no longer the determining factor, the one with authority over their life . . . . the Lord Jesus Christ is. (Read: I Corinthians 6:15-20; Romans 6 and 14:7-9)
We the “disciple” are the “slave” who learns from the “teacher” and obeys the “master.” And the “teacher” and the “master” is the Lord Jesus Christ!
Getting discipleship right is a necessity! Real believers are set apart by real discipleship. They are the ones who willingly submit as “disciple” and “slave” to the “teacher” and the “master.”
Have a good day . . . and as you walk work on getting your discipleship right, knowing who it is that is your teacher and your master.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge