From Paul’s letter to the believers at Ephesus we read,
- “He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things. And He gave some as . . . pastors and teachers.” (Ephesians 4:10-11 – NASB)
The “He” here is of course Jesus. This portion of Scripture tells us that “He” has “descended” and that “He” has “ascended.” Without getting into the specifics of this “descended” and “ascended,” let me just say I am of the mind that it speaks to His coming and His going.
“He” came to carry out the work that was necessary to pay the price for the penalty due our sin, to die and give His life a ransom for the lost. He also came to reveal the Father, to reveal God to us. And then, His work completed, He rose up from the grave, and all that “He” had taught and all that “He” had done was affirmed, the stamp of approval placed upon who He is and what He had done.
“He” told us in chapters 14-16 of the gospel of John that it was necessary that Him to go, for then “He” would send the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth,” and the Spirit would take up residence in those who believed on Him. And the Holy Spirit would empower believers to be witnesses for Him, and also, to be enabled to serve Him. Some of those who would be saved the Lord “gave as . . . pastors and teachers.”
I am of the mind that it is this position given by the Lord that all too often is thought to be something it really is not. The “pastor and teacher” is not a program director, or an entertainer, or some charismatic personality. No, he is just this, a “pastor” and a “teacher,” and oh how important it is that he know what he is and what he is supposed to do and do it as the Master has designed.
The word “pastor” speaks of “a shepherd” (Strong) and “teacher” of “an instructor” (Strong). This man of God is to be “a shepherd” and “instructor” to the flock of Christ, the body of Christ, the church. And he is given by Christ . . . .
- “for the equipping of the saints
- for the work of service
- to the building up of the body of Christ”
The “pastor and teacher . . . shepherds” the flock of God as an “instructor” of the Word of God that he might “equip” them for “the work of service” resulting in “the building up of the body of Christ.
This is what the “pastors and teachers” are to be about. It is a very responsible position and one that, in this day of pomp and ceremony and the great desire to be entertained, must be kept within a proper biblical perspective.
Have a good day . . . and seek not a man that can entertain you but one who can shepherd and instruct you in the Word of God that you might be equipped for the work of service to the building up of the body.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas