- “Through Your precepts . . . get understanding . . .” (Psalm 119:104a – NKJV)
What a blessing to have His “precepts,” His Word, to have that by which we may grow in our understanding of our God.
From God’s Word, the food for our souls, we read,
- “But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.” (Romans 6:17 – NKJV)
Saved by the grace of God, we who are “in Christ” by the sovereign work of God (I Corinthians 1:30), are no longer “slaves to sin” but a people who are called to obedience, “from the heart,” to “that form of doctrine” which we have been “delivered” to. God has “delivered” us to a certain “form of doctrine” that espouses His will, His standard, and you and I need to be in that “doctrine” so that we can be vessels that manifest His truth to the world around us (note Romans 12:1-2).
Doctrine . . . the word meaning quite simply, “teaching, instruction” (Strong). Those who God has saved through the Person and work of His Son are “delivered” to a “form” of “teaching,” a “form” of “instruction” that is meant to be taken in so that it might reshape their life, the goal being that they be “conformed to the image” of Christ (Romans 8:28-29).
The Bible provides “doctrine,” and this “doctrine” is truth (Psalm 119:142; John 17:17). We are to be in this truth, taking it in, set apart by it, so that we,
- “. . . speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine” (Titus 2:1 – NKJV)
The word “sound” is significant to us. It means, “to be uncorrupt, healthy, safe, well” (Strong). So, the “form of doctrine” that we are to be set apart in is to be a “teaching,” an “instruction,” that is not “corrupt” but “healthy” and “well.” Such “doctrine,” such “teaching,” comes from the written Word of God . . . it is, “sound doctrine.”
Brethren, we need to understand that we have been saved by the power of God and that we have been delivered from the power of sin. Sin is no longer to be our master. We have been “delivered” to a new Master, the Lord Jesus Christ, and to His “form of doctrine.” It is an “instruction” in how to walk in “newness of life” (Romans 6:4).
Doctrine . . . important? You bet it is! It is what we are to be receiving from the pulpits of our houses of worship. It is God’s command to the ministry to “teach the word” (II Timothy 4:2; Titus 2:1). Without “sound doctrine” the church is rendered ineffective, becoming a gathering of people who know not what the truth is and who are not set apart to obey the will of Christ the Lord (again, John 17:17).
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be taking in the uncorrupt doctrine of the Word of God to which you were delivered.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas