From the book of Ezekiel we read,
- “when the house of Israel was living in their own land, they defiled it by their ways and their deeds; their way before Me was like the uncleanness of a woman in her impurity. Therefore, I poured out My wrath . . . I scattered them . . . I judged them . . . they profaned My holy name, because it was said of them, ‘These are the people of the LORD; yet they have come out of His land.’ But I had concern for My holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations where they went.” (Ezekiel 36:17-21 – NASB)
Israel was a nation that was meant to be God’s witness to all other nations, a witness of His great “name.” It was to order itself in such a way as to exalt the name of “the LORD” (Yaweh). In their “land” they were supposed to be God’s nation, a people living for and worshipping the true God, the Creator God. By their “ways” and their “deeds” they were to bear witness of His “holy name.” Instead they “defiled” His “name” by “their ways and their deeds,” and God “poured out” His “wrath” on them, He “scattered them,” He “judged them.” Instead of receiving a blessing “Israel” received chastisement.
- “Therefore, say to the house of Israel, Thus says the LORD God, ‘It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for My holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have went. And I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD,’ declares the Lord God, ‘when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight.”
By means of their corrupt “ways and . . . deeds,” Israel “profaned” God’s “holy name,” His “great name.” They brought reproach to it. The word “profane” speaks of “polluting, defiling.” Zodhiates writes concerning this word, “It is a desecration of something which is holy.” That which was “holy” and “great,” God’s “name,” was being “profaned” by the very actions of His people “Israel.” There was “desecration” being brought to it, to that which “is holy.” Therefore “the LORD” acted and He did so for the sake of His “holy name.” (Note: Ezekiel 38:23; 39:7)
Do you know who it is you have been called by? Do you know why you have been so called? Do you know that He who has called you, saved you, caused you to be born again, that you represent Him in this world? Do you know that you are His workmanship and that in whatever you do you are to glorify and bring honor to His name?
The lesson from our text has always prompted from me this response . . .
- “Oh Lord, may I never bring reproach to Your holy name, may I never profane it by my ways or by my deeds. May I instead always bring honor to Your great name, and may I, in walking as you have called me to walk, be a vessel that manifests Your holy and great name to all those I around me. May my obedient walk bear witness of You to the world.”
Have a great day brethren . . . and as you walk be aware of who it is you represent on this earth, be aware of the great regard God has for His name, and diligently seek to always bring honor to it.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR