Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the book of Ezekiel we read,
- “when the house of Israel was living in their own land, they defiled it by their ways and their deeds; their way before Me was like the uncleanness of a woman in her impurity. Therefore, I poured out My wrath . . . I scattered them . . . I judged them . . . they profaned My holy name, because it was said of them, ‘These are the people of the LORD; yet they have come out of His land.’ But I had concern for My holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations where they went.” (Ezekiel 36:17-21 – NASB)
Israel was a nation that was meant to be God’s witness to all other nations, a witness of His great “name.” It was to order itself in such a way as to exalt the name of “the LORD” (Yaweh). In their “land” they were supposed to be God’s nation, a people living for and worshipping the true God, the Creator God. By their “ways” and their “deeds” they were to bear witness of His “holy name.” Instead they “defiled” His “name” by “their ways and their deeds,” and God “poured out” His “wrath” on them, He “scattered them,” He “judged them.” Instead of receiving a blessing “Israel” received chastisement.
- “Therefore, say to the house of Israel, Thus says the LORD God, ‘It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for My holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have went. And I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD,’ declares the Lord God, ‘when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight.”
By means of their corrupt “ways and . . . deeds,” Israel “profaned” God’s “holy name,” His “great name.” They brought reproach to it. The word “profane” speaks of “polluting, defiling.” Zodhiates writes concerning this word, “It is a desecration of something which is holy.” That which was “holy” and “great,” God’s “name,” was being “profaned” by the very actions of His people “Israel.” There was “desecration” being brought to it, to that which “is holy.” Therefore “the LORD” acted and He did so for the sake of His “holy name.” (Note: Ezekiel 38:23; 39:7)
Do you know who it is you have been called by? Do you know why you have been so called? Do you know that He who has called you, saved you, caused you to be born again, that you represent Him in this world? Do you know that you are His workmanship and that in whatever you do you are to glorify and bring honor to His name?
The lesson from our text has always prompted from me this response . . .
- “Oh Lord, may I never bring reproach to Your holy name, may I never profane it by my ways or by my deeds. May I instead always bring honor to Your great name, and may I, in walking as you have called me to walk, be a vessel that manifests Your holy and great name to all those I around me. May my obedient walk bear witness of You to the world.”
Have a great day brethren . . . and as you walk be aware of who it is you represent on this earth, be aware of the great regard God has for His name, and diligently seek to always bring honor to it.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas