From the book of II Kings we read,
- “But Naaman was furious and went away and said, ‘Behold, I thought . . .” (II Kings 5:11 – NASB)
“Naaman” was, the Bible reports, the “captain of the army of the king of Aram.” He was “a great man with his master,” and “was highly respected.” It is said that Yahweh, the God of Israel “had given victory to Aram . . . by him.” The Bible record says that “Naaman . . . was . . . a valiant warrior.” But “Naaman” had a serious health issue; “he was a leper” (II Kings 5:1).
Through a series of events “Naaman” came to know of “the prophet” who was “in Samaria” who he was told could “cure him of his leprosy” (II Kings 5:33). He asked his King for permission to seek out this “prophet” and his request was granted him. Off he went to “Samaria” to find this one that could release him from this dreaded disease that plagued him. Eventually “Naaman” found out that the “prophet” he sought was the one the Bible calls, “Elisha the man of God.”
When “Naaman” came to where “Elisha” was and made his request for healing “the prophet” never even came out to meet this man of renown, this great military “captain.” He simply sent his “messenger” out to him with instructions for what he should do to be healed of his “leprosy.” The great and “valiant warrior” was taken back. He said,
- “Behold, I thought, ‘He will surely come out to me, and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, and wave his hand over the place, and cure the leper.'” (II Kings 5:11 – NASB)
But as “Naaman . . . thought” it should all take place, as he “thought” things should be, they were not. And because things were not going as he “thought” they should, he balked at the whole situation and at the instructions he received from “the messenger” of “the prophet.” Eventually, his “servants” convinced him to give “the prophet’s” plan a try. He did! And the results: “Naaman” acted “according to the word of the man of God; and was restored like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean” (II Kings 5:14).
This biblical event was brought to my mind as I listened to the song, “Blessings.” Have you heard it? It has the most wonderful, thought provoking lyrics. Note,
- “We pray for blessings, we pray for peace; comfort for family, protection while we sleep.
- We pray for healing, for prosperity; we pray for Your mighty and to ease our suffering.
- All the while You hear each spoken need, yet love us way too much to give us lesser things.
- Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops, what if Your healing comes through tears?
- What if a thousand sleepless night are what it takes to know You’re near?
- What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?”
Ah yes Lord . . . “What if” what we “thought” was the way things should be is not the way You intend them to be? Could it be that “Your blessings come” in a way we have difficulty in understanding? Do we ever stop to consider that it could be that “Your mercies” come to us not as we “thought” they should, but “in disguise . . . through raindrops . . . through tears,” through “a thousand sleepless nights?” Could it be that what we “thought” was really not what, in the end, was best, if it is that we believe that You always know best and that You “love us way too much to give us lesser things?”
Have a good day brethren . . . and may I encourage you to strive daily to know the mind of our God as it is revealed in holy writ.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR