From the book of II Kings we read,
- “But Naaman was furious and went away and said, ‘Behold, I thought . . .” (II Kings 5:11 – NASB)
“Naaman” was, the Bible reports, the “captain of the army of the king of Aram.” He was “a great man with his master,” and “was highly respected.” It is said that Yahweh, the God of Israel “had given victory to Aram . . . by him.” The Bible record says that “Naaman . . . was . . . a valiant warrior.” But “Naaman” had a serious health issue; “he was a leper” (II Kings 5:1).
Through a series of events “Naaman” came to know of “the prophet” who was “in Samaria” who he was told could “cure him of his leprosy” (II Kings 5:33). He asked his King for permission to seek out this “prophet” and his request was granted him. Off he went to “Samaria” to find this one that could release him from this dreaded disease that plagued him. Eventually “Naaman” found out that the “prophet” he sought was the one the Bible calls, “Elisha the man of God.”
When “Naaman” came to where “Elisha” was and made his request for healing “the prophet” never even came out to meet this man of renown, this great military “captain.” He simply sent his “messenger” out to him with instructions for what he should do to be healed of his “leprosy.” The great and “valiant warrior” was taken back. He said,
- “Behold, I thought, ‘He will surely come out to me, and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, and wave his hand over the place, and cure the leper.'” (II Kings 5:11 – NASB)
But as “Naaman . . . thought” it should all take place, as he “thought” things should be, they were not. And because things were not going as he “thought” they should, he balked at the whole situation and at the instructions he received from “the messenger” of “the prophet.” Eventually, his “servants” convinced him to give “the prophet’s” plan a try. He did! And the results: “Naaman” acted “according to the word of the man of God; and was restored like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean” (II Kings 5:14).
This biblical event was brought to my mind as I listened to the song, “Blessings.” Have you heard it? It has the most wonderful, thought provoking lyrics. Note,
- “We pray for blessings, we pray for peace; comfort for family, protection while we sleep.
- We pray for healing, for prosperity; we pray for Your mighty and to ease our suffering.
- All the while You hear each spoken need, yet love us way too much to give us lesser things.
- Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops, what if Your healing comes through tears?
- What if a thousand sleepless night are what it takes to know You’re near?
- What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?”
Ah yes Lord . . . “What if” what we “thought” was the way things should be is not the way You intend them to be? Could it be that “Your blessings come” in a way we have difficulty in understanding? Do we ever stop to consider that it could be that “Your mercies” come to us not as we “thought” they should, but “in disguise . . . through raindrops . . . through tears,” through “a thousand sleepless nights?” Could it be that what we “thought” was really not what, in the end, was best, if it is that we believe that You always know best and that You “love us way too much to give us lesser things?”
Have a good day brethren . . . and may I encourage you to strive daily to know the mind of our God as it is revealed in holy writ.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge