Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Note with me this Scripture text from Paul’s letter to the Galatians,
- “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh . . . Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you just as I have forewarned you that those who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5: 16, 19-21 – NASB)
God is the Creator! And being such He sets the standards for His creation. Man is God’s greatest creation and thus The Creator has the right to say how His creation should act, what they should practice, how their behavior should be, how every facet of their life should be walked out.
But man has turned from his Creator, he has a nature that rebels against God. Sin plagues man’s soul and rather than seeking to do the will of God he seeks to satisfy self, and thus, in his separation from God, he seeks to do that which fulfills “the desire of the flesh,” the dying “flesh.” Thus, man’s practice goes against the holy standards of God’s will for his creation. Seeking not to satisfy God but rather, that which satisfies his flesh, man carries out “the deeds of the flesh.” Paul lists some of these practices here in our text.
Such practices, carried out in separation from God, are evidence of those who “shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” As noted yesterday, they are practices that come from an unregenerate heart.
For the Christian, the disciple of Christ, he or she has a new nature and has been empowered to walk no longer according to the flesh but “by the Spirit.” And such the regenerate person can now walk in a new manner of life on this earth and can now know, through the Word of God, what the will of God is for their practice. Our text is important to us in that it lists practices that are to be avoided, that are not satisfying to our Lord, to our Creator, that are not characteristics of His disciples.
Again, practice matters! Practice gives evidence of those whose inheritance is the “kingdom of God” verses those whose inheritance is eternal damnation.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may your practice give evidence that you are keeping in step with the Spirit.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas