Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the book of Proverbs we read,
- “The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to discern the sayings of under-standing, to receive instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, justice and equity; to give prudence to the naïve, to the youth knowledge and discretion . . .” (Proverbs 1:1-5 – NASB)
The book of Proverbs is given to us by God that we might “know wisdom.” The dictionary defines the word “wisdom” in the following terms, “the quality or state of being wise, sagacity, discernment, or insight.” So from the writings of Solomon we can gain discernment, insight, that we might be able to “discern the sayings of understanding” and thus be wise. (Note: “sagacious” means, “having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd.”)
Brethren, I don’t know if you ever think about it but it is wise to do so, to think about what a blessing it is to have “understanding.” This is especially something we want to have in regards to life, the matters of life, of who we are and what we are here for and what lies ahead for us. To have “understanding” of these things is vital to each one of us. The Bible imparts to us “wisdom” that in turn gives us “understanding” of these things.
From this book of “wisdom,” we “receive instruction in wise behavior.” Thus, how we are to behave in this world, how we are to act as we go about life, and how we are to do it “wisely.” We “receive instruction in . . . righteousness.” Doing what is right, carrying out right acts, this is so important in keeping us from acts that are harmful and destructive. We “receive instruction in . . . justice.” Oh how our judges, who rule from their lofty benches, could use this book of Proverbs today, could use the Word of God, that they might administer rightly, “justice.” They can only have “understanding” of true “justice” if they are taking in the counsel of God!
From the book of “wisdom” we “receive instruction in . . . equity.” This English word means, “the quality of being fair or impartial.” To be able to deal fairly, justly . . . to have “understanding” in how to do this, this we learn from the book of “wisdom,” from the pages of God’s holy Word.
And further, “prudence” is given to “the naïve,” or, the “wisdom” to deal well in practical matters. The “naïve” would especially pertain to the young, to youth, for they are in great need of this as they grow in their new life.
The book of Proverbs is written especially for the young. Just reading into the first and second chapters will make this point clear. Written that they might have “wisdom . . . understanding . . . instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, justice and equity.”
Isn’t it a travesty that in our day, in fact in this very day, we fill the thousands of rooms of education across our land with young people with the intent of imparting to them wisdom and understanding. The goal is to give them instruction that they might become more knowledgeable and subsequently prepared for a productive life in society, in this world. Isn’t it a travesty that in this very process we omit the very tool that is necessary to actually fulfill this goal. Oh how the youth of our day need the Word of God!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, take in that you might give out the counsel of God’s Word, taking special notice of those who are young, that you might impart to them wisdom and knowledge and understanding.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas