This is the sixth in a series of articles about stones in the Bible. We know that stones were used as an instrument of capital punishment in Israel, but these articles will look at stones in a different light. Instead of a weapon of judgment, we will “pick up” stones that will be stones of instruction. These “stones” will “teach” us and help us remember our God.
Throughout the Bible, stones have had great significance. The past weeks we’ve covered:
Stone 1: A Stone and a Name—in Genesis and Exodus
Stone 2: A Stone of Rest—a pillow of comfort in Genesis
Stone 3: A Stone Covered Well in Genesis
Stone 4: A “Mizpah” Stone of Blessing—and God’s faithful watch in Genesis
Stone 5: A Stone of Precious Promise—Jesus, My Rock
This week…Stone #6
Last week, we added the Stone that is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel. This week we add the Stone of Strength and Support. Jesus is our Foundation Stone and our Banner of Victory. We know well that the Bible tells us, when we are weak He is strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9 And he [Jesus] said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
This assurance is followed by the revelation that we can find comfort, peace, and even please in troubled times because of His precious promise that He will uphold and strengthen us:
2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
He is strong for us! What a gift we have in His strength. Therein lies a revelation of the power of the resurrection. He gives us His strength! In Exodus, we find an account of Moses’ weakness, a lesson about how God provides, and…
A Stone of Support
Following the miracle of Moses striking the rock and water coming out from it (Exodus 17:1-7), there came opposition from the Amalekites. Moses instructed Joshua to choose men to fight. Joshua chose his fighting men and they went into battle. As the battle commenced, Moses stood atop the hill with the rod of God in his uplifted hand. Whenever Moses’ hand was up-stretched toward Heaven, Israel prevailed, but when Moses lowered his hand due to fatigue, the Amalekites prevailed.
Exodus 17:10-11 …Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.
This clearly shows that God was with them in the battle and He would be their strength. Recognizing Moses’ fleshly weakness and that he could no longer hold up his hands, Aaron and Hur placed a stone under Moses for him to sit on. They then stood on each side of Moses and helped him to hold his hand up “until the going down of the sun.”
Exodus 17:12 But Moses’ hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
God’s people were victorious because God was with them in the battle. He was their rock-solid foundation, their stone of strength, support, and victory. Not only did God give them the power and strength to defeat the Amalekites, God also used two of His people to uphold and strengthen Moses when He was weak. This reminds us of the importance of fellowship among God’s people.
It was not the mighty men who won that war with the Amalekites. It was the Foundation upon which they fought. It was God who gave them the strength to be victorious, and to His Name belongs all the glory.
Following the victory, God instructed Moses to record this battle so future generations would remember His great works. “And Moses built an altar [with stones], and called the name of it Jehovahnissi” (Exodus 17:15 ).
Jehovah Nissi is a compound name for God that means, the Lord is my Banner. This name occurs once in the Bible. It is found only in Exodus 17:15 it is a name for God that testifies of His faithfulness to His promise of providing for His people. (Read more about the Names of God: In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?)
Take your Stone of Foundation and Victory that represent your Banner and add it to the memorial pillar.
Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. Romans 8:37
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57
…And this is the victory that has overcome the world; our faith. 1 John 5:4
1: A Stone and a Name—in Genesis and Exodus
2: A Stone of Rest—a pillow of comfort in Genesis
3: A Stone Covered Well in Genesis
4: A “Mizpah” Stone of Blessing—and God’s faithful watch in Genesis
5: A Stone of Precious Promise—Jesus, My Rock
6: A Stone of Foundation and Victory—Jesus, My Banner
7: A Stone of Deliverance and Memorial—Jesus, My Saviour
[12 stones you can’t pick up, but you need to know are there]
8: A Stone of Help in 1 Samuel–an Ebenezer Stone—Jesus, My Hep
9: A Stone of Remembrance of God’s Power and Provision—Jesus, My Provision
10: A Stone of Praise—Jesus, My King
11 & 12: A Lively Stone in a Living Stone —Jesus, in whom we live, and move, and have our being.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED