Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the first book of the Bible we read,
- “Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, ‘Indeed, has God said . . .” (Genesis 3:1 – NASB)
It seems most peculiar to us to read this text and attempt to make sense of it, especially as it is written and so passed on to us. But it is Scripture, and it is given to us by God to deal with in a proper manner. We are a people who are called to rightly divide the word of truth (II Timothy 2:15), so we should strive to do just that and this text must be dealt with accordingly.
There was in the beginning, a “serpent” that was the embodiment of evil. This “serpent,” at that time, “was more crafty than any” other “beast of the field which the LORD God had made.” And this “serpent,” being “crafty,” came unto “the woman” that God had made out of the side of the man (Genesis 2:21-23) and actually presented to her the question that prevails to this very day . . . “Indeed, has God said?”
We know, as we read on, that “the serpent” was most persuasive, and eventually led the man and the woman into sinning against “the LORD God,” their Creator. And the fall of man came and history began to record all the terrible consequences of this falling away from “God.”
But who was this “serpent?” Did he do his deceptive work and crawl off some place and eventually die? Does this “serpent” have a name? Is it possible that this “serpent” is operating in this same mode? The answers are, “NO,” and “YES, and “YES.”
He did not die, and he does have a name, and he is still operating in his deceptive and lying mode to this very day.
The Bible tells us who this “serpent” in the garden was, and for that matter, is . . .
- “And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan . . .” (Revelation 12:9 – NASB)
The “crafty . . . serpent” of the garden was “the serpent of old” and he “is called the devil and Satan.” And he was very active then and is very active in this day in which you and I live. He opposes the work of God by repeating over and over again, “Indeed, has God said?” He is “of old” and he is of the present . . . and we, who are Christians, must never think that what is revealed of him in the first book of the Bible is not relevant to us today.
The “great dragon . . . the serpent of old,” yes, it is “the devil,” the real and living “Satan” who,
- “. . . prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (I Peter 5:8 – NASB)
It behooves us to take note of what the Scriptures reveal about this “crafty . . . serpent,” knowing who he is and what he is all about and that he is repeatedly asking, “Indeed, has God said?”
Have a good day. . . and as soldiers of Christ have on the full armor of God that you may be able to stand firm against that serpent of old (Ephesians 6:10-18).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas