From the first book of the Bible we read,
- “Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, ‘Indeed, has God said . . .” (Genesis 3:1 – NASB)
It seems most peculiar to us to read this text and attempt to make sense of it, especially as it is written and so passed on to us. But it is Scripture, and it is given to us by God to deal with in a proper manner. We are a people who are called to rightly divide the word of truth (II Timothy 2:15), so we should strive to do just that and this text must be dealt with accordingly.
There was in the beginning, a “serpent” that was the embodiment of evil. This “serpent,” at that time, “was more crafty than any” other “beast of the field which the LORD God had made.” And this “serpent,” being “crafty,” came unto “the woman” that God had made out of the side of the man (Genesis 2:21-23) and actually presented to her the question that prevails to this very day . . . “Indeed, has God said?”
We know, as we read on, that “the serpent” was most persuasive, and eventually led the man and the woman into sinning against “the LORD God,” their Creator. And the fall of man came and history began to record all the terrible consequences of this falling away from “God.”
But who was this “serpent?” Did he do his deceptive work and crawl off some place and eventually die? Does this “serpent” have a name? Is it possible that this “serpent” is operating in this same mode? The answers are, “NO,” and “YES, and “YES.”
He did not die, and he does have a name, and he is still operating in his deceptive and lying mode to this very day.
The Bible tells us who this “serpent” in the garden was, and for that matter, is . . .
- “And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan . . .” (Revelation 12:9 – NASB)
The “crafty . . . serpent” of the garden was “the serpent of old” and he “is called the devil and Satan.” And he was very active then and is very active in this day in which you and I live. He opposes the work of God by repeating over and over again, “Indeed, has God said?” He is “of old” and he is of the present . . . and we, who are Christians, must never think that what is revealed of him in the first book of the Bible is not relevant to us today.
The “great dragon . . . the serpent of old,” yes, it is “the devil,” the real and living “Satan” who,
- “. . . prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (I Peter 5:8 – NASB)
It behooves us to take note of what the Scriptures reveal about this “crafty . . . serpent,” knowing who he is and what he is all about and that he is repeatedly asking, “Indeed, has God said?”
Have a good day. . . and as soldiers of Christ have on the full armor of God that you may be able to stand firm against that serpent of old (Ephesians 6:10-18).
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge