By Shari Abbott, Reasons for Hope* Jesus
War, huh, yeah.
What is it good for?
Remember those lyrics? They’re from the 1969 protest song, “War,” by Edwin Starr (It was also recorded by The Temptations and years later by Bruce Springsteen.
I’m sure there are many who remember the song. Even the younger generation my have heard the song’s call to answer the question, what is war good for? Interestingly, in the song’s lyrics the name of God is invoked, referencing Him as “good God”” and stating that the “Lord knows there’s got to be a better way” [meaning, a better way than war to keep our freedom]. When I found the lyrics online, I noted that “God” was written with a capital G. It seems Edwin Starr (who wrote the song) knew, or at least respected, God. And, it should be noted that back in the 60s when people spoke of God, it was almost always a reference to the God of the Holy Bible.
Setting aside the song’s references to God (I’ll let you can decide if the song is respectful or not), the words made me think about the disparity between war and hope! The song is clearly an anti-war song. The lyrics cry out about the tragedy and despair of death during the Vietnam War, and I remember that time well. I experienced the reality of it personally at the funeral of a friend’s brother who didn’t make it home alive. The lyrics of the song cry out a lament of sadness and unrest in our country during the troubling days of the Vietnam War:
War, it ain’t nothing
But a heartbreaker
War, friend only to the undertaker
It’s an enemy to all mankind
The point of war blows my mind
War has caused unrest
Within the younger generation
Induction then destruction
Who wants to die
War will always be a part of a fallen world—and death at the hands of another human will always be a part of war. Ever since the Garden, death has been part of our world whether it be in combat or from crime, diseases or natural causes.
So where’s the hope?
Let’s reword the song’s question and ask, “What is hope good for?” As Christians, our answer should be “Absolutely EVERYTHING.”
The name of our ministry is Reasons for Hope* Jesus and it was purposefully chosen to reflect our mission, which is based on 1 Peter 3:15…
…sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
Our mission is to equip Christians with answers about what they believe and to offer knowledge and understanding of true hope–the kind of hope that will never disappoint and will always uphold us. That hope is not found in the answers we might have; nor is it not found in anything of this world.
True hope is found in a Person….the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the reason for the hope that is in us and He is our hope. It should always be our goal to know Jesus better and to love Him more. Therefore, the answers and reasons that we give are always about Jesus — His Person and His works.
So why do many in this world think they can find hope in someone or something else? Consider these closing words from the song:
War, it ain’t nothing but a heartbreaker
War, friend only to the undertaker
Peace, love and understanding
Tell me, is there no place for them today
They say we must fight to keep our freedom
But Lord knows there’s got to be a better way
“Lord knows there’s got to be a better way.”
Yes, the Lord does know there is a better way! And we who belong to Jesus KNOW it also. That better way IS Jesus. He has told us that He is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6) and that He will never leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Now that’s the….
…and that’s what hope is good for! Using a little poetic license, consider these words.
Hope, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Say it again!
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing,
that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store