Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
May we not forget that,
- “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (I Corinthians 10:31 – NASB)
The Scripture text is Jesus speaking, and He is speaking about choices,
- “For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake shall find it. For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matthew 16:25-26 – NASB)
Which would you really rather have? That is a good and proper question that each one of us has to ask of ourselves. Would you really, and I want to emphasize the word “really,” . . . . . would you really rather have Jesus or would you really rather have this “world” and the things of this “world?” As we go about a day, doing what we do, going where we go, seeking what we seek, making time for what we make time for, It is an unavoidable question we face.
The old gospel hymn comes to mind when I am faced with this question:
- “I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
- I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
- I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
- I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand”
Would you really “rather have Jesus than silver or gold?” Would you really “rather be His than have riches untold?” Would you really “rather have Jesus than houses or lands?” Would you really “rather be led by” Him rather than by the flesh and its desire for this “world” and the enticements of its god? (I John 5:19)
How easily we can get caught up in the “world” and its trappings! How easily we can wander away from the One we profess to love and turn from Him and seek after the self-satisfying things of this “world.”
Note in the hymn as it points out a preference to “have Jesus . . . rather . . . than silver and gold,” or “riches untold,” or “houses and lands.” Jesus warned, in the parable of the sower, how people are taken away from the gospel message of life by “the deceitfulness of riches.” He warned how these “riches . . . choke the word” (Matthew 13:22). And oh how sobering “the word” is, “for what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul?” Can one purchase with “silver and gold” his “soul? . . . “What will a man give in exchange for his soul?”
It is a most honest question to ask ourselves daily . . . Which would we really rather have? Would we really “rather have Jesus . . .”
- “Than to be the king of a vast domain or be held in sin’s dread sway.”
The call is clear . . .
- “And He was saying to them all, ‘If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me'” (Luke 9:23 – NASB)
Yes Father . . .
- “I’d rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk note that each new day begs the question, “Which would I really rather have?”
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas