From John’s gospel we read,
- “Let not your heart be troubled, believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you, for I go to prepare a place for you.” (John 14:1-2 – NASB)
The time has come for Jesus to do what He came to do, to give His life a ransom for many. To suffer scourging and the horrible agony of crucifixion, bearing our cross, that He might break the dreadful hold of sin and death that plagues mankind. That He might make “a way” to be reconciled to God, taking in His flesh the punishment for our sin, shedding His blood that there might be remission of sin. As He prepares to go about this great deed He speaks to His disciples, and in the midst of knowing that in a short period of time He will suffer great physical and spiritual pain, the Lord speaks words of hope and comfort and of things to come.
He told the disciples and He tells us, “Don’t let your heart be troubled,” but “believe in God” and “believe also in Me.” And know that, “In My Father’s house are many dwelling places . . . . and I go to prepare a place” for you there.
For those who belong to Him there are “many dwelling places.” The King James and New King James translate “dwelling places” with the word “mansions.” I’m an old KJV man, so when I think of this passage of Scripture I read it as such,
- “In my Father’s house are many mansions” (John 14:2 – KJV and NKJV)
The Greek word for “dwelling places,” for “mansions” is mone. It is used two times in the New Testament, in this text and in verse 23 of this same chapter. It literally means, “a staying, i.e., residence; abode, mansion” (Strong’s).
The old gospel hymn comes to my mind every time I read or think upon this wonderful promise of our Lord . . . do you know it? Oh what a wonderful old hymn it is! I recall from the past singing it so often in church . . .
- “I’m satisfied with, just a cottage below,
- A little silver and a little gold;
- But in that city, where the ransomed will shine,
- I want a gold one that’s silver lined.”
- “Don’t think me poor or, deserted or lonely,
- I’m not discouraged, I’m heaven bound.
- I’m but a pilgrim, in search of a city,
- I want a mansion, a harp, and a crown.”
And the refrain,
- “I’ve got a mansion, just over the hilltop,
- In that bright land, where we’ll never grow old.
- And someday yonder, we will never more wander,
- But walk on streets that are purest gold.”
I can’t begin to tell you how often I have read the words of our Savior in John 14, and I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve mouthed the words to this old gospel tune. I’ve had the words of both memorized for years.
Because of who Jesus is, because of what He has done, because of what He has said and promised, as the old hymn says, we’ve “got a mansion, just over the hilltop.” Oh brethren . . . . . what a most glorious and wonderful truth to take in and meditate on. “Mansions” that are in God’s “house,” and there are “many” of them, and Jesus, in great words of hope, says to us, “I,” the God-Man, “go to prepare a place for you.” Man, if that doesn’t lift up your heart and cause you to sing and praise and give thanks . . . . . .
By the way, if you’ve never heard this old gospel hymn, I suggest you find a rendition of it and listen to it. It will bring to your heart and mind the precious words of our Lord, our Savior . . . . it will bless your very soul.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do so as one who has the promise of God Himself, that you have a mansion just over the hilltop.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR