You may think my title to this devotion is a strange one, but consider what the psalmist writes to us in Psalm 119,
- “Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way” (Psalm 119: 104 – NKJV)
Within our text are the concepts of “understanding” and “hating.” What might seem to be two totally different things are brought together in one text from God’s Word. And it shouldn’t be difficult for us to see how the two really do go with one another, especially in this passage.
From God’s Word, from His “precepts,” we get “understanding. We gain “understanding” as to how the worlds were framed, how man and woman came to be. We gain “understanding” as to how, through man’s disobedience, his rebellion, sin came into God’s creation and violated God’s holiness and such separated man from His Maker. We gain “understanding” that rather than destroying completely what deserved to be so judged, God worked down through the ages to make a “way” by which fallen man might be reconciled to Him. We gain “understanding” that God, in Christ, through the Person and work of His one and only Son, provided a “way” back for the created to the Creator. We gain “understanding” that Jesus the Christ” went to the cross, was crucified, dead, and buried and then rose up from the grave . . . and that by this work He has provided the “way” to be saved from our sin . . . He has provided the “way . . . to the Father,” the unique and only “way” (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; etc.). This “understanding” we “get” from God’s “precepts.”
Then the psalmist writes, “Therefore . . .” a word that directs our attention back to what has just been said so we can understand what is about to be said:
- “based on what I have just said . . . that ‘through (God’s) precepts I get understanding,’ the result of that is that ‘I hate every false way.'”
Brethren, there is a most dangerous opposition to this “understanding” that the “precepts” of God provide. And this opposition seeks to muddle the message, seeks to cater to the fallen nature of man and through lies and deception keep him from “understanding,” keep him on a “way” to destruction, a “way” that leads to the judgment that is due every rebellious sinner by the righteous indictment of God. Satan and his vast demon empire and the world system over which he rules seeks to cloud any “understanding” of God’s message of hope for man, of God’s “way” of reconciliation.
And so, our “understanding” that we get of this most serious struggle that exists for the very soul of man, whether a man will spend eternity in heaven or hell, comes from God’s “precepts” and from them alone . . . and knowing this, we “hate every false way” that would lead mankind to understand otherwise.
Yes, “understanding” God’s Word, His “precepts,” actually brings “hating” . . . . . . a “hating” of “every false way.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be one who understands the right way and hates every false way.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas