- “I am . . . the truth” (John 14:6 – NASB)
He was saying that He, the One who claimed to be the Messiah, the great I AM, the Lord, that He was “the truth.” I believe I’m saying it right when I say that within the sphere of who He was and what He spoke was “truth.” If one were to go looking for “the truth” they should come to Him, for He embodied it, He, being “the truth,” gave “truth” a concrete form. He actually comprised “truth.”
Jesus wanted those who believed in Him to be sanctified in “the truth,”
- “Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth.” (John 17:17 – NASB)
Jesus prayed to the Father that of those who had believed in Him and would believe in Him needed to be set apart “in the truth.” What “truth” would that be? It would be “the truth” of Him and His “word” as so conveyed by Him and, that would later be spoken and written down by those He sent out as apostles.
The apostles wanted it known that if one wanted to find “the truth,” they should be able to find it in believers who make up the body of Christ, the church, for Paul wrote,
- “. . . the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.” (I Timothy 3:15 – NASB)
In “the church,” Christ’s body of believers, in this “household . . . of the living God,” here is “the truth,” for “the church” is “the pillar and support of it. And this “truth” that “the church” is a “pillar” of, that “the church . . . supports” is the “word of truth,” a “truth” regarding He who is “the truth” and all that He has had to say to man.
To add to this, the apostle Paul said that it was necessary that regarding this “word of truth,” this “word” that “the church” is “the pillar and support of,” that it must be taken very seriously and such, handled accurately (II Timothy 2:15). And one can understand the why of this, for if it is “truth” then it is imperative it not be subject to distortion, that it not be corrupted.
I looked up the word “truth” in the dictionary. It defines the word as, “the actual state of a matter; fact; reality; verity; indisputable fact.” Zodhiates writes of the Greek word that it “denotes the reality clearly lying before our eyes as opposite to a mere appearance without reality.”
TRUTH . . . it is “reality! This “reality” is Jesus! This “reality” is as Jesus spoke it, as He lived it. This “reality” is what He would have those who are His set apart in. This “reality” can be found in God’s “word.” This “reality” should be found in “the church,” for “the church . . . supports” it, holds it up so to say, that it may be made known, declared to the world.
TRUTH . . . as is in Jesus, as is in His word, as is to be in the church, it must be kept, it must be guarded, it must not be allowed to be tainted or spoiled by the hand of man . . . and we, who are in Christ, we who have been entrusted with this TRUTH, we must be the ones in our day that see to it that this responsibility for being the “pillar and support of the truth” is fulfilled.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas