Awaken the dawn brethren with praise . . .
- “Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty expanse. Praise Him for His mighty deeds; Parise Him according to His excellent greatness.” (Psalm 150:1-2 – NASB)
O yes! This is the way to start the new day!
From the letter to the church at Philippi we read,
- “Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.” (Philippians 3:17 – NASB)
Let’s take a moment to consider the subject of role models. We’ve probably looked at this matter before but it is good to table it again and remind ourselves of who it is that should be the proper role model for we who are in Christ.
In today’s world imitation is an on-going practice. Whether it be in clothing styles, social behavior, who one wants to run with, who one wants to be like, or even what one even decides to read . . . models are out there and we are influenced by them. How does a book become a bestseller? Someone writes it, people read it, recommend it, and others get in line to purchase and read it themselves. They follow the model set by others to do what they do.
There is a constant debate in media today on people that are in the entertainment world, whether they are good role models or not. There are people doing what they do and in the process establishing a model for others to imitate, setting an example that in many cases actually affects society as a whole. Behavior trends are set and a culture is shaped by choices of the masses to follow suit. And such the world around us is formed and shaped in the image of those whose model is the most influential to our human desires. People strive to know these models, these trend-setters, to be like them, to emulate them, to talk as they talk, dress as they dress, read what they read, buy what they buy . . . well, you get the point. And the world, the culture, societies, they are conformed to the images of those they choose as their role models.
When I was a boy, not being brought up in a Christian home, I sought to be like certain men that I viewed in the world. I wanted to walk and talk and act like Audie Murphy. I wanted to be like Hopalong Cassidy. I had a plethora of role models, those who were to me my example of how I wanted to be in this world. What I could learn of these models I pursued with the intention of being just like them.
Take a moment here . . . . consider for a moment what kids, what young people, what adults have for role models today. If you are truthful, it is most concerning, is it not?
In our Bible text God gives to us two commands, commands that set before us who it is that is to be our role model . . . .
- “join (verb in the present tense, in the imperative mood; a command necessitating continuous and repeated action) in following my example” – Who is the “example?” The apostle Paul.
- “observe (verb in the present tense, in the imperative mood; a command necessitating continuous and repeated action) those who walk according to the pattern you have in us” – Those that order their behavior like Paul and the other apostles, continually “observe” them and walk according to the “pattern” they have set.
You ask, “Well, what is their example?” “How is it that they walked?” “What kind of pattern did they set?” To get started in answering these questions, read Philippians 3: 1-16. What a divine “example,” what a most wonderful “pattern!” Then, get into the other Scriptures . . . and set your heart’s desire to be like them, for their desire was to be like Christ.
Ah yes, the proper role model is so very important!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk join in following Paul. Let him be your example of how to structure your life. Observe in Scripture his example and his pattern and walk accordingly.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas