Awaken the dawn brethren with praise . . .
- “Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty expanse. Praise Him for His mighty deeds; Parise Him according to His excellent greatness.” (Psalm 150:1-2 – NASB)
O yes! This is the way to start the new day!
From the letter to the church at Philippi we read,
- “Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.” (Philippians 3:17 – NASB)
Let’s take a moment to consider the subject of role models. We’ve probably looked at this matter before but it is good to table it again and remind ourselves of who it is that should be the proper role model for we who are in Christ.
In today’s world imitation is an on-going practice. Whether it be in clothing styles, social behavior, who one wants to run with, who one wants to be like, or even what one even decides to read . . . models are out there and we are influenced by them. How does a book become a bestseller? Someone writes it, people read it, recommend it, and others get in line to purchase and read it themselves. They follow the model set by others to do what they do.
There is a constant debate in media today on people that are in the entertainment world, whether they are good role models or not. There are people doing what they do and in the process establishing a model for others to imitate, setting an example that in many cases actually affects society as a whole. Behavior trends are set and a culture is shaped by choices of the masses to follow suit. And such the world around us is formed and shaped in the image of those whose model is the most influential to our human desires. People strive to know these models, these trend-setters, to be like them, to emulate them, to talk as they talk, dress as they dress, read what they read, buy what they buy . . . well, you get the point. And the world, the culture, societies, they are conformed to the images of those they choose as their role models.
When I was a boy, not being brought up in a Christian home, I sought to be like certain men that I viewed in the world. I wanted to walk and talk and act like Audie Murphy. I wanted to be like Hopalong Cassidy. I had a plethora of role models, those who were to me my example of how I wanted to be in this world. What I could learn of these models I pursued with the intention of being just like them.
Take a moment here . . . . consider for a moment what kids, what young people, what adults have for role models today. If you are truthful, it is most concerning, is it not?
In our Bible text God gives to us two commands, commands that set before us who it is that is to be our role model . . . .
- “join (verb in the present tense, in the imperative mood; a command necessitating continuous and repeated action) in following my example” – Who is the “example?” The apostle Paul.
- “observe (verb in the present tense, in the imperative mood; a command necessitating continuous and repeated action) those who walk according to the pattern you have in us” – Those that order their behavior like Paul and the other apostles, continually “observe” them and walk according to the “pattern” they have set.
You ask, “Well, what is their example?” “How is it that they walked?” “What kind of pattern did they set?” To get started in answering these questions, read Philippians 3: 1-16. What a divine “example,” what a most wonderful “pattern!” Then, get into the other Scriptures . . . and set your heart’s desire to be like them, for their desire was to be like Christ.
Ah yes, the proper role model is so very important!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk join in following Paul. Let him be your example of how to structure your life. Observe in Scripture his example and his pattern and walk accordingly.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge