Awaken the dawn brethren with praise . . .
- “Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty expanse. Praise Him for His mighty deeds; Parise Him according to His excellent greatness.” (Psalm 150:1-2 – NASB)
O yes! This is the way to start the new day!
From the letter to the church at Philippi we read,
- “Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.” (Philippians 3:17 – NASB)
Let’s take a moment to consider the subject of role models. We’ve probably looked at this matter before but it is good to table it again and remind ourselves of who it is that should be the proper role model for we who are in Christ.
In today’s world imitation is an on-going practice. Whether it be in clothing styles, social behavior, who one wants to run with, who one wants to be like, or even what one even decides to read . . . models are out there and we are influenced by them. How does a book become a bestseller? Someone writes it, people read it, recommend it, and others get in line to purchase and read it themselves. They follow the model set by others to do what they do.
There is a constant debate in media today on people that are in the entertainment world, whether they are good role models or not. There are people doing what they do and in the process establishing a model for others to imitate, setting an example that in many cases actually affects society as a whole. Behavior trends are set and a culture is shaped by choices of the masses to follow suit. And such the world around us is formed and shaped in the image of those whose model is the most influential to our human desires. People strive to know these models, these trend-setters, to be like them, to emulate them, to talk as they talk, dress as they dress, read what they read, buy what they buy . . . well, you get the point. And the world, the culture, societies, they are conformed to the images of those they choose as their role models.
When I was a boy, not being brought up in a Christian home, I sought to be like certain men that I viewed in the world. I wanted to walk and talk and act like Audie Murphy. I wanted to be like Hopalong Cassidy. I had a plethora of role models, those who were to me my example of how I wanted to be in this world. What I could learn of these models I pursued with the intention of being just like them.
Take a moment here . . . . consider for a moment what kids, what young people, what adults have for role models today. If you are truthful, it is most concerning, is it not?
In our Bible text God gives to us two commands, commands that set before us who it is that is to be our role model . . . .
- “join (verb in the present tense, in the imperative mood; a command necessitating continuous and repeated action) in following my example” – Who is the “example?” The apostle Paul.
- “observe (verb in the present tense, in the imperative mood; a command necessitating continuous and repeated action) those who walk according to the pattern you have in us” – Those that order their behavior like Paul and the other apostles, continually “observe” them and walk according to the “pattern” they have set.
You ask, “Well, what is their example?” “How is it that they walked?” “What kind of pattern did they set?” To get started in answering these questions, read Philippians 3: 1-16. What a divine “example,” what a most wonderful “pattern!” Then, get into the other Scriptures . . . and set your heart’s desire to be like them, for their desire was to be like Christ.
Ah yes, the proper role model is so very important!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk join in following Paul. Let him be your example of how to structure your life. Observe in Scripture his example and his pattern and walk accordingly.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR