How about it . . . are you teachable or do you think you have a handle on pretty much the whole picture? I know where I stand in regards to this question, especially in my relationship with the Lord. My response is as the psalmist writes in that great psalm 119,
- “Blessed are Thou, O LORD; teach me Thy statutes” (Psalm 119:12 – NASB)
That is where I stand, that is my reply to the question . . . “teach me Thy statutes.”
I found in this psalm, the longest chapter in the Bible, nine instances (noting that I could have missed one or two) where the psalmist says to God, “teach me.”
Psalm 119 is all about the Word of God, from beginning to end. There are several different terms used by the writer to speak of God’s Word, for instance, “law, testimonies, precepts, commandments, judgments, word, ordinances.” All these words refer to the Word.
Within this great psalm the writer continually calls out to the Lord, “teach me.” And what is it he desires to be taught? “Thy statutes.” The Holy Spirit would have us of the same spirit, the same mind, calling out to Him to “teach” us His “statutes,” His “word,” His “law,” His “testimonies,” His “commandments,” His “judgments,” His “ordinances.”
- “I have told of my ways, and Thou hast answered me; teach me Thy statutes” (Psalm 119:26 – NASB)
- “Teach me, O LORD, the way of Thy statutes, and I shall observe it to the end” (Psalm 119:33 – NASB)
- “The earth is full of Thy lovingkindness, O LORD; teach me Thy statutes” (Psalm 119:64 – NASB)
- “Teach me good discernment and knowledge, for I believe in Thy commandments” (Psalm 119:66 – NASB)
- “Thou art good and doest good, teach me Thy statutes” (Psalm 119:68 – NASB)
- “O accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD; and teach me Thine ordinances” (Psalm 119:108 – NASB)
- “Deal with Thy servant according to Thy lovingkindness, and teach me Thy statutes” (Psalm 119:124 – NASB)
- “Make Thy face shine upon Thy servant, and teach me Thy statutes” (Psalm 119:135 – NASB)
Repetition is to make a point! And here we have it, the point: “teach me . . . O LORD!”
You know, I surely don’t know a whole lot when I consider my God and the vastness and depth of His knowledge and Person. But I do desire to know! I do desire to be taught! So my goal is to be of a teachable spirit, being in the Word and saying,
- “. . . teach me Thy statutes . . . the way of Thy statutes . . . teach me good discernment and knowledge . . . teach me Thine ordinances”
And then I can be a “servant” who says,
- “I have not turned aside from Thine ordinances, for Thou Thyself has taught me” (Psalm 119:102 – NASB)
Ahhhhh yes! “For Thou” O my God, through Your “statutes . . . has taught me” and, continues to “teach me,” and will continue to “teach me” throughout eternity . . . . with the goal being that I may be sanctified by Thy Word (John 17:17).
Have a good day . . . and as you walk the walk be of a desire to be in the Word and to be taught what the Father has to teach you.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas