In First Samuel we read:
- ” ‘Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you” (I Samuel 12:24 – NASB)
Israel had God as their king. They were, as a nation, under a type of government that we would term a theocracy. Very simply defined, a theocracy is where God reigns. But the people were not satisfied with this situation so they asked for an earthly king. And God heard their request and He granted it. In the midst of all this the prophet Samuel reminded the people that even though they might have a king they must no forget to “fear” Yaweh, to “consider” and recall to mind constantly “what great things He (had done and was doing) for (them).” And so very important to all of this, they were to continue to “serve Him” and do so “in truth.”
Important principle given here which we need to take in . . . . . we are to “serve” the Lord our God “in truth.”
Jesus asked of His Father in His high priestly prayer in John 17,
- “Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth” (John 17:17 – NASB)
The Lord desired that His disciples be set apart “in the truth,” a “truth” that was in God’s “word.”
In our service to our God it is of the utmost importance that it be done “in truth.” As one person has noted, and noted very well,
- “Nothing is more important in service than to do it according to the unchangeable truths of the Word of God. Service must always be aligned with the Scriptures. It should never be done in such a way as to violate a known command of God.”
In Exodus 32, while Moses was up on Mount Sinai, the people begged Aaron to build them an image that they could use to offer burnt offerings and peace offerings to, an image that they would use as a means by which to “serve” God. Aaron gave into the wishes of the people and an idolatrous practice took place, one in which God was not pleased. The people failed to “serve (God) in truth,” and the results were devastating.
In Judges 17 we read of a similar incident regarding a man named Micah and his mother. Micah stole a large sum of money from his mother and then eventually returned it. The mother said, “I had wholly dedicated the silver unto the LORD.” It sounds good, like so often a person’s service to the Lord does, but note the remainder of her statement, “to make a graven image and a molten image.” Micah’s mother was violating God’s commandment that no one was to make graven images. She was not “serving” the Lord “in truth.”
It is essential that we get the point here! We must “serve” God as He dictates in His Word, that our service be according to His Word. Service and truth go hand in hand! The prophet Samuel said it as the Holy Spirit intends for us to get it . . .
- “. . . fear the LORD and serve Him in truth”
If we violate God’s truth in our service to Him our service is unacceptable, it warrants reproof and correction and judgment instead of God’s approval.
Have a good day . . . and as you walk, quite simply, serve the Lord in truth, serve Him according to His Word.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge