In First Samuel we read:
- ” ‘Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you” (I Samuel 12:24 – NASB)
Israel had God as their king. They were, as a nation, under a type of government that we would term a theocracy. Very simply defined, a theocracy is where God reigns. But the people were not satisfied with this situation so they asked for an earthly king. And God heard their request and He granted it. In the midst of all this the prophet Samuel reminded the people that even though they might have a king they must no forget to “fear” Yaweh, to “consider” and recall to mind constantly “what great things He (had done and was doing) for (them).” And so very important to all of this, they were to continue to “serve Him” and do so “in truth.”
Important principle given here which we need to take in . . . . . we are to “serve” the Lord our God “in truth.”
Jesus asked of His Father in His high priestly prayer in John 17,
- “Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth” (John 17:17 – NASB)
The Lord desired that His disciples be set apart “in the truth,” a “truth” that was in God’s “word.”
In our service to our God it is of the utmost importance that it be done “in truth.” As one person has noted, and noted very well,
- “Nothing is more important in service than to do it according to the unchangeable truths of the Word of God. Service must always be aligned with the Scriptures. It should never be done in such a way as to violate a known command of God.”
In Exodus 32, while Moses was up on Mount Sinai, the people begged Aaron to build them an image that they could use to offer burnt offerings and peace offerings to, an image that they would use as a means by which to “serve” God. Aaron gave into the wishes of the people and an idolatrous practice took place, one in which God was not pleased. The people failed to “serve (God) in truth,” and the results were devastating.
In Judges 17 we read of a similar incident regarding a man named Micah and his mother. Micah stole a large sum of money from his mother and then eventually returned it. The mother said, “I had wholly dedicated the silver unto the LORD.” It sounds good, like so often a person’s service to the Lord does, but note the remainder of her statement, “to make a graven image and a molten image.” Micah’s mother was violating God’s commandment that no one was to make graven images. She was not “serving” the Lord “in truth.”
It is essential that we get the point here! We must “serve” God as He dictates in His Word, that our service be according to His Word. Service and truth go hand in hand! The prophet Samuel said it as the Holy Spirit intends for us to get it . . .
- “. . . fear the LORD and serve Him in truth”
If we violate God’s truth in our service to Him our service is unacceptable, it warrants reproof and correction and judgment instead of God’s approval.
Have a good day . . . and as you walk, quite simply, serve the Lord in truth, serve Him according to His Word.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas