In First Samuel we read:
- ” ‘Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you” (I Samuel 12:24 – NASB)
Israel had God as their king. They were, as a nation, under a type of government that we would term a theocracy. Very simply defined, a theocracy is where God reigns. But the people were not satisfied with this situation so they asked for an earthly king. And God heard their request and He granted it. In the midst of all this the prophet Samuel reminded the people that even though they might have a king they must no forget to “fear” Yaweh, to “consider” and recall to mind constantly “what great things He (had done and was doing) for (them).” And so very important to all of this, they were to continue to “serve Him” and do so “in truth.”
Important principle given here which we need to take in . . . . . we are to “serve” the Lord our God “in truth.”
Jesus asked of His Father in His high priestly prayer in John 17,
- “Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth” (John 17:17 – NASB)
The Lord desired that His disciples be set apart “in the truth,” a “truth” that was in God’s “word.”
In our service to our God it is of the utmost importance that it be done “in truth.” As one person has noted, and noted very well,
- “Nothing is more important in service than to do it according to the unchangeable truths of the Word of God. Service must always be aligned with the Scriptures. It should never be done in such a way as to violate a known command of God.”
In Exodus 32, while Moses was up on Mount Sinai, the people begged Aaron to build them an image that they could use to offer burnt offerings and peace offerings to, an image that they would use as a means by which to “serve” God. Aaron gave into the wishes of the people and an idolatrous practice took place, one in which God was not pleased. The people failed to “serve (God) in truth,” and the results were devastating.
In Judges 17 we read of a similar incident regarding a man named Micah and his mother. Micah stole a large sum of money from his mother and then eventually returned it. The mother said, “I had wholly dedicated the silver unto the LORD.” It sounds good, like so often a person’s service to the Lord does, but note the remainder of her statement, “to make a graven image and a molten image.” Micah’s mother was violating God’s commandment that no one was to make graven images. She was not “serving” the Lord “in truth.”
It is essential that we get the point here! We must “serve” God as He dictates in His Word, that our service be according to His Word. Service and truth go hand in hand! The prophet Samuel said it as the Holy Spirit intends for us to get it . . .
- “. . . fear the LORD and serve Him in truth”
If we violate God’s truth in our service to Him our service is unacceptable, it warrants reproof and correction and judgment instead of God’s approval.
Have a good day . . . and as you walk, quite simply, serve the Lord in truth, serve Him according to His Word.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR