The verses in question are from the prophet Habakkuk, the apostle Paul, and the writer of Hebrews (whom most believe was Paul):
Hab 2:4 … the just shall live by his faith.
Rom 1:17 …The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:11 … The just shall live by faith.
Heb 10:38 …the just shall live by faith…
Clearly, Habakkuk 2:4 says “by his faith,” but when this prophet’s words were quoted in the New Testament, “his” was omitted. Why?
Old Covenant vs New Covenant
There are many things that were different under the Old Covenant. This is one of those things.
In salvation under the New Covenant, we have been given the Holy Spirit to indwell, teach, direct, and seal us “unto the day of redemption.” (1 Cor 3:16, John 14:26, Eph 1:13, 4:30) Under the Old Covenant that was not so.
Before Jesus came, gave His life to pay for the sins of mankind, and opened the way to the Father under the New Covenant, the Holy Spirit would only come upon, or enter into, some of the people who trusted in Jehovah. The Spirit was given by God to prophets, priests, and kings to empower them in their service for God. And the Spirit could depart at any time from those under the Old Covenant. In contrast, for us who are of the New Covenant, the Spirit will never leave us. We are guaranteed of His permanent, indwelling presence and that assures us of the security of our eternal life in Christ. (Read:What is eternal security/assurance of salvation?)
Spirit Produced Faith
One of the “works” of the Holy Spirit in us is to produce fruit. And that fruit includes, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self control. So how does the Spirit produce faithfulness in us? By increasing our faith. And how does He increase our faith? By exactly what Jesus said He would do…by teaching us.
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Our faith is built by knowledge.
The reformers defined faith as: knowledge + belief + trust = faith. (Read: What is Faith?) Therefore, we understand that the foundation of faith is knowledge. And knowledge comes from the Word of God:
Rom 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
So the Holy Spirit gives, or increases, our faith by giving us knowledge—by teaching us all things (John 14:26).
The Just Shall Live by His Faith vs by Faith?
Because most believers in the Old Testament did not have the Holy Spirit, and none had His permanent indwelling, they did not have a spiritual Helper to grow their faith or direct their ways. It was necessary that they keep their focus on God by prayer, obedience to His moral Law, and practice of the Levitical Law. By doing these things they themselves would grow their faith. They were to live by their faithfulness to God and that’s why Habakkuk said the just would “live by HIS [own] faith.”
Under the New Covenant, we live by God’s faithfulness to us. And He is faithful to grow us in grace and in knowledge by the indwellling of the Holy Spirit. He is active in the life of a believer. Therefore, we live by faith — a faith produced not of our own singular ability, but a faith produced by the working of the Holy Spirit in our hearts, minds, and souls. It is a faith produced by God’s faithfulness to us (Gal 2:20). And thereby we walk (2 Cor 5:7), stand (1 Cor 16:13), and live (Rom 1:17, Gal 3:11 and Heb 10:38), not by our faith but by faith that is strengthened by God.
1 Cor 1:9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Eph 3:20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
Psa 89:1 I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever; With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations.
Praise God for His faithfulness to you, for the mercy and grace He has given you and for the faith He is building in you.
Live in the Strength of the Lord
1 Timothy 6:11 …Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.’
Eph 3:16-17 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas