The apostle Paul writes in his letter to the believers in Colossae, “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” (Col 2:8) The New American Standard Bible begins with, “See to it that no one takes you captive…”
Much is said about “the Colossian Heresy” amongst Bible commentators. A corrupt doctrine of Jesus the Christ had crept into the church in Colossae and they were in danger of being spoiled (NKJV) or taken captive (NASB) by the false teachers who perpetrated the heresy.
Warnings from Paul
The warnings of deception abound in Paul’s letters to believers. And if Paul were writing to the churches of this day in which you and I live, it would be no different. For the ongoing work of Satan and the world in their attempts to corrupt the gospel of God, to corrupt what God has said, never ceases. You do understand that . . . don’t you?
Our instruction from the Scriptures are very clear, “Beware lest any man spoil you…” or “See to it that no one takes you captive…”
The word “spoil” is defined as, to diminish or destroy the value or quality of. And, the word “captive” speaks of, “to kidnap, to plunder a house or rape a maiden.” Both are very concerning word. For there will be those who seek to diminish or destroy us, to kidnap or plunder us, and to subject us to strange and heretical teachings — often seeking to lead us away from the sufficiency we have in Christ Jesus our Lord, away from the sufficiency of the message of the Scriptures.
In Our Day
There is a strong movement sweeping through the body of Christ aiming to diminish and plunder, even destroy our spiritual house.
Recently I read that a current day pastor of a very large church was declaring that Jesus was not the only way to God. His message was that there are many ways and that it is a shame that the church would even consider such a narrow message as Christ alone. It is a well-received teaching to the world and evidently to his listeners . . . but it strikes at the very heart of the doctrine of Christ, at the very heart of what the Bible teaches.
Acts 4:10 …that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead…Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Paul sets forth the doctrine of Christ in a mighty way in chapter one of Colossians, directly challenging the heresy that was being spread amongst the members of the church. He left no doubt as to who Jesus is, and then he told them and us . . .
Beware that no man spoil you and see to it that no one takes you captive by any message that is not according to Christ.
Let us rejoice that Jesus is who the Scriptures say He is, and rejoice in the truth that “in Him (you and I) have been made complete.” (Colossians 2:10)
Have a good day . . .
and as you walk the walk, beware that anyone would plunder your house with untruth, or kidnap you to any teaching that is contrary to what the Scriptures teaches us about Jesus the Christ . . . our Lord and our Savior.
Receive articles like this in your inbox.
E-Books Now Available at Amazon:
Visit Our Store for Print Books and more Apologetics Resouces
The Top Ten from 2017
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge