From Genesis we read,
- “And it cam about after these events that his master’s wife looked with desire at Joseph, and she said, ‘Lie with me.’ But he refused, and said to his master’s wife . . . . ‘How then could I do this great evil, and sin against God.'” (Genesis 39:7-9 – NASB)
Joseph had been put in charge of all that Potipher, the Egyptian officer, owned. He was a young man, and great responsibility had been given him. He most likely was what we would call, a good=looking man (see V-6), and his physical appearance appealed to Potipher’s wife and she attempted to seduce the young Hebrew and get him to commit an act of “sin” with her, and she said to him, “Lie with me.” She wanted to commit adultery with Joseph.
Sin has a most powerful draw! Note this text regarding sin in Genesis 4,
- “Then the LORD said to Cain, ‘Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at your door, and its desire is for you, but you must master it.” (Genesis 4:6-7 – NASB)
Whoa . . . . “sin is crouching at your door!” It is as if “sin” is a living entity, some sort of creepy thing that actually lurks around us. God notes to Cain that “its desire is for you.” This destructive force that holds sway over men, this thing that reeks of rebellion against the Creator, it is something that has a “desire” and that “desire” is to destroy us, to cause us to “sin against God.” Here, in Cain’s situation, “sin desired” to have him murder his brother.
We see two different reactions to this thing called “sin” in our texts. In one instance “Cain” would give into it and its evil intent, and he would rise up and slay his brother Abel (Genesis 4:8), while in the other instance, “Joseph” would not allow himself to be seduced by “his master’s wife” (Genesis 39:10-12), and instead of committing “sin” with her, he would run from her! He did not allow “sin’s desire” to overtake him and instead, knowing God’s will, he was “master” over “it.”
Brethren . . . . “sin” is a most terrible thing! There is no doubt that its “desire” is to be “master” over us. The Bible clearly tells us not to allow it to have sway over us, for “the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23), separation from God. “Sin” is such a destructive and powerful force that only by Jesus going to the cross could its power be destroyed.
Take note that “sin is crouching at your door.” Understand that “its desire is for you.” And when it rears its ugly head do as “Joseph” did . . . . run! And say,
- ” ‘How then could I do this great evil, and sin against God?”
Have a good day . . . . and as you walk be aware of sin’s desire to be master over you and instead of giving into it, run from it!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR