Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
We’ve been in chapter three of Second Timothy all week, dealing with this unsettling term, “perilous times.”
- “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come” (II Timothy 3:1 – NKJV)
Again, “the last days,” the “days” since Jesus ascended into heaven, the “days” in which you and I are living; they will be marked by “perilous times.” Yes, difficult and dangerous “times” are what we “know” have existed in the past, and exist right now, and will exist in the “days” ahead, until our Lord returns.
They are “days” that have been, are, and will be marked by “evil men and impostors” (3:13), those who God tells us, “will grow worse and worse.” They are,
- “. . . those who creep into . . . (men) who resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith” (II Timothy 3:5, 8 – NKJV)
“Men” marked by a whole list of godless characteristics (3:2-5) who, by the term “creep,” remind you of a certain snake that inhabits the spirit world in rebellion against God. “Truth” is something they “resist,” thus revealing their relationship to he who is called “the liar” (John 8:44). These “men,” besides all else that is already said of them, have “corrupt minds” and they are not to be found in “the faith,” that “faith” that makes up the historic doctrines and truths of biblical Christianity.
All that revealed by the apostle Paul regarding the “last days” and its “perilous times,” and “the evil men and impostors” of these “days,” he writes something key for our understanding, two words that find a common thread throughout the New Testament Scriptures,
- “But you . . . But you . . .” (II Timothy 3:10, 14 – NKJV)
The disciple of Christ is always in stark contrast to “the evil men and impostors.” He is always found within the sphere of the words, “but you.” His or her mind is not “corrupt” nor is it “disapproved concerning the faith.”
The disciple of Christ is commanded,
- “But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of knowing from whom you have learned them.” (II Timothy 3:10, 14 – NKJV)
We who are of Christ, we are, within “the last days,” in the midst of “perilous times,” encompassed about by “evil men and impostors,” we are commanded by our Lord to “continue” (present tense, in the imperative mood) continually “in the things which” we “have learned” from “the Holy Scriptures” (3:15).
In “the last days,” in the “perilous times,” as things “grow worse and worse,” as “evil men and impostors” seek to “creep” into the hearts and minds of the masses and shape their thinking and actions according to their own “corrupt minds,” let it be said of us, “but you . . .”
Have a good day . . . and be on your guard, holding fast the faith which you are to be established in and earnestly contending for.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas