From the Psalms the Holy Spirit speaks to us,
- “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? . . . My heart shall not fear” (Psalm 27: 1-3 – NKJV)
I would venture to say we all have our fears, that we all have within our lives, our surroundings, in our very being, things that cause us to be afraid. Often we are in situations or maybe certain environments that cause us to have concern, cause us to be uneasy, unsettled, fearful. King David had these, times when his spirit was beset by certain fears. By inspiration of the Holy Spirit he penned the above text, speaking to himself words of assurance in the midst of his fears.
Yaweh (“LORD”) is the name used of God in the Old Testament that tells us a great deal about the God who we call Father. Some of what is associated with its meaning is that it emphasizes His self-existence and His graciousness for providing redemption to His people, His holiness, His sovereignty. David speaks comfort to himself, knowing that this is his “LORD” and that He is his “light and (his) salvation,” and he believes this and finds comfort in such a confession, thus he concludes, “whom shall I fear?”
David then says of Yaweh (“LORD”), He “is the strength of my life.” The Hebrew word for “strength” means, “a fortified place; fig., a rock, stronghold, fortress.” David used this same wording in Psalm 18:1, a Psalm written by David in response to the LORD delivering him from his enemies, from the hand of Saul. Again, these words bring comfort to David’s spirit and after saying them he writes, “of whom shall I be afraid?”
David goes on to say in the midst of verse three, having already proclaimed what he believes to be true, “my heart shall not fear.” Based on his acknowledgement of specific truths about his God, David’s arrives at this conclusion, and as you and I read such words and put them to memory and meditate on them we also can arrive at the same conclusion if and when “fear” besets us.
- Oh Father, you are my “light” and You are my “salvation.” You are my “strength,” my Rock and stronghold . . . whom then should I “fear?” . . . I conclude Father, “my heart shall not fear!”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk confront your fears with the counsel given to us by our Father in His Word.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas