Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From John’s first epistle we read,
- “By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe (i.e., do) His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.” (I John 5:2-3 – NASB)
Myriads of people complain that the Christian faith is nothing but a vast list of “do’s” and “don’ts.” They say, “You guys are restricted from enjoying life by all kinds of rules and regulations . . . You’re missing all the fun!” They see Christians as having this heavy burden laid upon them by a rule-making god who seems to desire that we never experience the real joys of life. It is a common response by a non-believer when presented with the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, with the call to repent and turn to Christ for salvation.
But to the believer, “we know” don’t we, that “the commandments” of God are not restrictive but they are liberating! That’s right, “liberating!” And in being liberating they are “not burdensome.” We who are disciples of Christ find “the commandments” of God to be anything but a burden.
Before I was saved I walked to the beat of this world and its lies. I drank, I smoked, I cussed, I lied, I pursued success for personal gain only, I acted out life with the intent of satisfying self, of satisfying my cravings, my desires. Think of it brethren . . . where does drinking lead? Where does smoking lead? Where does lying lead? Where does gaining the whole world eventually lead to? Think on it. Where does this world and its pursuits and practices eventually lead us?
Think of it! Before we know it, time has passed and these cravings, these desires, these practices, take their toll and we find them weighing us down, like a great burden they crush us and in the end, prove to be anything but fulfilling.
When I, through God’s miraculous saving power, came to know Christ as my Lord and Savior, when I was born again, when I was given new eyes to see, I embraced “the commandments” of God . . . . and brethren, they set me free! Freed from the burden of sin and its destructive force, I was liberated to do what is right and what is good. In new found love for “God” and His Word I discovered His “commandments,” counseling that lead to a quality of life this world could never, ever offer. Oh, His “commandments are not burdensome,” no brethren, they are liberating!
Do you not agree . . . do you not “love God” and love His “commandments?” Do you not agree that “His commandments are not burdensome?” Such a heart is evidence of a true believer, evidence of a regenerated soul that has been set free to do what is right, set free to live life abundantly.
Have a good day brethren . . . . and as a believer in Christ, walk as one who loves Him and believes His commandments to be liberating not restrictive.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas