From the gospel of John we read,
“Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?’” (John 11:25-26 – NKJV)
As I watched an old movie the other day I took note of the funeral scene in it where the old preacher stood at the gravesite and read from the Bible and read this particular text from John. As one who has watched his fare share of movies, I have noted that in recent times this blessed saying of Jesus has just about been totally omitted from any of the funeral scenes depicted in modern-day films. Things have changed in our country, in our world. As I have noted before they have steadily spiraled down and away from God and His Word.
But then brethren, movies and TV and our current culture are not the source of our knowledge of the truth. No, they are not our source! The Bible is! And in this wonderful book of written truth, in this particular historical setting that the apostle John describes, Jesus goes to the place where family have placed the body of Lazarus who has died. And before Jesus performs one of the greatest miracles ever recorded, He affirms to Martha that her brother would “rise again” (11:23). Martha believed that to be true, that in “the last day” her brother would partake of “the resurrection” (11:24), but right at this moment she was mourning his death along with her sister Mary, and they were going to be without the presence of their brother until that “day” in the future arrived.
But there was before her One who holds the very power of life in His very hand! And to let Martha know and the crowd of mourners around her, and the world of that time as well as the one that was yet to come, just who He was, Jesus said,
“I am the resurrection and the life”
Do you believe this?
Without going any further in the biblical narrative, let me ask you, “Do you believe that Jesus is the great I AM? Do you believe He has power over life and death? Do you believe that He is ‘the resurrection and the life’ and that ‘whoever lives and believes in (Him) shall never die?’ Brethren, do you ” believe” that of Jesus?”
Easter Sunday is a day when many attend church services. They sing and they pray and they hear, hopefully, a message regarding Jesus and the resurrection. Many are going through the motions of religious practice because at this one time of the calendar year it seems a good thing to do, a proper holiday thing to do.
Oh God forbid that we would miss, in our observance of Easter Sunday, the stated fact and the associated question Jesus puts to each and every one of us regarding “resurrection” and “life,”
“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”
Do you believe this?
Yes! I “believe” Jesus that You are the great “I AM!” I “believe” Jesus that You are “the resurrection and the life!” Yes, I “believe this!”
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge