In our Got Questions? column we’ve addressed the question, “What Is Election?” We’ve looked at two five-point theological statements that address the doctrine of election: the Five Articles of the Remonstrance (Arminianism) and the Five Points of Calvinism (TULIP).
In short review, the Five Articles of the Remonstrance(1610)* were teachings from Jacobus Arminius (1560-1609), a Dutch theologian (Arminianism) and the Five Points of Calvinism (TULIP) were written in 1619 by the followers of French theologian John Calvin (1509-1564).
At the end of the Got Questions article, I mentioned that there is another five-point theology that all Christians should know, agree with, and affirm. Here are the five points that will help you grow in faith and prepare you to know, live and share what you believe.
The Most Important Five Points
Another Five Points gained popularity in the 20th century, but find their origin in the teachings of a 16th-century German theologian. A former Roman Catholic monk, Martin Luther (1483-1546) was the revolutionary “father” of the Protestant Reformation. By nailing his 95 Point Theses to the door of All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg, Germany (October 31, 1517), Luther boldly proclaimed salvation to be gained by grace alone through faith in Christ alone. His actions and the reformation movement that followed changed the face of Christendom.
In the 20th-century, the Five Solas of the Reformation were summarized and articulated from Latin phrases that originated during the Protestant Reformation. These Five Points are very different from the Five Articles of the Remonstrance and the Five Points of Calvinism. While these Five Points do not address the same doctrines as the Five Points of Arminianism and Calvinism, these Five Points do provide a solid, biblical foundation for sound doctrine. All Christians should understand and commit to the truths of these Five Points.
1) Sola Scriptura — Scripture Alone: God’s Word is the final authority over all (including church tradition and interpretations) and the final authority in all matters. The Bible is inspired, inerrant and infallible. It is a living Book, preserved by the One who wrote it. It is the only Book that, when you are reading it, the Author is present to teach you.
2) Sola Fide — Faith Alone: Our justification comes through faith and without any contribution of our good works.
3) Sola Gratia — Grace Alone: Salvation is a gift of unmerited favor (grace) given by God. Simply put, God gives us what we do not deserve and have not earned by His Divine love and kindness.
4) Solus Christus — Christ Alone: This could not be more clear. It’s all about Jesus! He lived the life we could not live and He died the death that we should die. He alone mediates between God and man and the forgiveness of our sins was accomplished by Him alone through His substitutionary death on the cross.
5) Soli Deo Gloria — Glory to God Alone: If we get the first four solas right, the last one follows. God alone is glorified. Salvation is by Grace Alone, through Faith Alone, in Jesus Christ Alone, who is the Word (Scripture Alone) and from whom all Truth proceeds. Oh, what a magnificent gift of God.
For by grace are ye saved through faith;
and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.
Those are my favorite FIVE POINTS! They help me stay focused on Jesus and His gifts of grace, faith, and the Holy Spirit. Staying focused is not always easy. Perhaps that’s why the Five Solas begin with Sola Scriptura. We are so blessed to have in our possession the Word of God and to have the freedom to read it and to live our lives in obedience to God and His Word (pray that it alway be so). We are so blessed to have the Holy Spirit who opens the Scripture for us and teaches us God’s will and ways. When we read God’s Word the love of God is magnified in our hearts and souls, and we delight in the joy of our salvation.
When trials, temptations and tribulations come our way and tempt us to forget and wander, let us always remember, it’s all about Jesus (Christ Alone!). He has promised in 2 Corinthians 12:9 that His grace is sufficient (Grace Alone!). We are told in Colossians 2:7 that He strengthens and sanctifies us in our faith (Faith Alone!). And both Jesus (John 17:17) and Paul (Romans 10:17) tell us that our knowledge and understanding is found in His Word (Scripture Alone!).
Soli Deo Gloria
To God only wise, be glory
through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
Read the Got Questions? article, What Is Election? for an explanaition of the Five Articles of the Remonstrance (Arminianism) and the Five Points of Calvinism (TULIP).
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation? (video)
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns by Martin Luther?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas