Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Consider this passage from Matthew,
- “In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes and elders, were mocking Him, and saying, ‘He saved others; He cannot save Himself. He is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we shall believe Him.'” (Matthew 27:41-42 – NASB)
The “chief priests,” the “scribes and elders,” they seemed to be a cold hearted people, would you not agree? Here on a “cross” hung One who had taught, healed, fed the multitudes, raised the dead and yet these men, acclaimed as the religious elite of the Jews, were “mocking Him.” It is a sobering thought to think of all Jesus went through to purchase my salvation . . . most sobering indeed. And when I read about these “priests” and “scribes and elders,” I have this tendency to hate them, a desire to see their judgment carried out! I have this desire to read that Jesus came down from that “cross” and showed them just who He really was!
Such thinking is worldly thinking. What is most necessary about this very moment in history is that Jesus did not think of Himself, did not seek to unleash His mighty power for His own benefit, did not come down from that “cross” as He very well could have, but instead, He carried out the work He had come to do. He, who was not guilty of any crime, stayed on that “cross” and He, through His great sacrifice, made it possible for a sinner like me to be saved from the penalty due my sin. Mocked and condemned for me . . . it is a good thing to recall to our minds just what God has done for us in Christ,
- “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him” (II Corinthians 5:21 – NASB)
Jesus, “who knew no sin” took upon Himself “sin on our behalf.” He suffered the punishment due you and I that we “might become the righteousness of God in Him.” Oh the “priests” and the “scribes and elders,” they mocked Him, but we know, don’t we brethren, that at “the cross” the greatest act of love ever carried out, from the foundations of the earth until now, and for that matter, forever, took place!
Issac Watts, in his old hymn, on the love of Him who died for my sin, who suffered in my place . . . .
- “Such love demands my soul, my life, my all . . .” (from: When I Survey The Wondrous Cross)
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may you be reminded of just what Christ has done for you, and instead of groaning that it is Monday, rejoice in Jesus . . . . . . . be oh so joyful that He did not come down from that cross.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas