Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Note our text for the day taken from Psalm eight,
- “When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him? (Psalm 8:3-4 – NKJV)
The vastness of the universe, the “heavens,” the “moon and the stars,” all that goes to make up what is called the cosmos, its size and scope being so very, very impressive. Do you ever “consider” it? Do you ever take the time to ponder the majesty of it all?
Skeptics do, and down through the ages, and even more so in our day, they have been of the mind that, if God does exist, how could He be even remotely concerned about this one little planet that exist in the midst of such a huge expanse, and for that matter, “man?”
Against the backdrop of a universe so spectacular and vast, the Scripture poses the question: “What is man that You” oh Lord “are mindful of him?” How is it that he, so small in stature when one “considers” the universe, is of any significance to You? The Scriptural fact is that God is “mindful of him,” and He “visits him.” Dr. Henry Morris writes, “Significance is not a function of size, but of complexity,” and he goes on to point out that, “the human brain is surely the most complex physical system in the entire known universe.” In the midst of this vast universe significance is attributed by God to that which He created in His image, to that wonderful, complex entity known as “man.”
Yesterday I believe was called “Earth Day.” It is a day set aside by man to highlight the earth, “Mother Earth,” as it is known. When we hear the oft used term “Mother nature” we are witnessing man’s pagan tendencies as he seeks to worship at the altar of that which he has determined has actually spawned him. What is conspicuously missing in all of this is any reference to the Creator and the importance of acknowledging Him, and in the process, the significance of man. Darwin found man to essentially be insignificant. To him man was a product of the earth and its evolving processes.
But the God of Scripture says otherwise! In His communication to us through holy writ, He attaches great significance to His greatest creation . . . “man!” And when His creation rebelled and turned away from Him He sent His Son to become a “man” (Philippians 2:5-7) that He might, through His substitutionary death, make it possible for fallen “man” to be reconciled unto Himself. Man’s significance, his importance, is fully realized in the very Person and work of God the Creator, and in God the Redeemer.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk it is a good thing to know that in the vastness of the universe you are not just an insignificant product of mother earth but a most significant creation of God, and He is mindful of you.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas