Join me also in taking a look into the holy Word of God,
- “Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble.”(II Peter 1:10 – NKJV)
A Christian, one who has been born again, is one who is called, who is elected. The apostle Peter speaks of this in our text. Writing to believers of the then-and-now, he encourages each one to “be even more diligent to make (their) call and election sure.” This surety is arrived at as we are “diligent” to look into what Peter has written regarding “these things” and subsequently, seek to make them evident in our walk as true believers in Christ.
The word “therefore” directs us back to what has been written previously. Thus, this is where we gain insight into what Peter lays out as “these things” that we, as those “who” are “called” by God (1:3), should know and see evidence of in our walk. They are,
- Virtue (V-5)
- Knowledge (V-5)
- Self-control (V-6)
- Perseverance (V-6)
- Godliness (V-6)
- Brotherly-kindness (V-7)
- Love (V-7)
- “For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.” (II Peter 1:8-9 – NKJV)
So . . . “if these things,” these listed characteristics of a believer, if they “are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” And this “knowledge” will lead to fruitfulness marked by “these things” that will in turn manifest Christ! And, when “these things” are evident in your life, when “these things” are that which you are being “diligent” to “do,” then “you will never stumble” and you will “make your call and election sure.”
A “fruitful” walk is what God has “called” you and I to, manifesting the very character of the Lord Jesus Christ through “things” that are evident in our lives, “things” so described in His Word. They are “things” that are not characteristics of those who are not believers. Note what our Lord said,
- “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.” (John 15:7-8 – NASB)
A believer is one who is constantly believing! For belief is an active thing, not a stagnant act. It is a constant effort being made by the one who is “called” to “bear much fruit, and so prove to be (Christ’s) disciple.” The “things” that Peter points out are a partial list of what defines the “fruit.”
We have a high calling brethren, and through the true “knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ,” we have defined for us how we are to walk out that calling.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, examine yourself as to whether these things Peter writes are evident in your life.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR