Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Join me also in taking a look into the holy Word of God,
- “Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble.”(II Peter 1:10 – NKJV)
A Christian, one who has been born again, is one who is called, who is elected. The apostle Peter speaks of this in our text. Writing to believers of the then-and-now, he encourages each one to “be even more diligent to make (their) call and election sure.” This surety is arrived at as we are “diligent” to look into what Peter has written regarding “these things” and subsequently, seek to make them evident in our walk as true believers in Christ.
The word “therefore” directs us back to what has been written previously. Thus, this is where we gain insight into what Peter lays out as “these things” that we, as those “who” are “called” by God (1:3), should know and see evidence of in our walk. They are,
- Virtue (V-5)
- Knowledge (V-5)
- Self-control (V-6)
- Perseverance (V-6)
- Godliness (V-6)
- Brotherly-kindness (V-7)
- Love (V-7)
- “For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.” (II Peter 1:8-9 – NKJV)
So . . . “if these things,” these listed characteristics of a believer, if they “are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” And this “knowledge” will lead to fruitfulness marked by “these things” that will in turn manifest Christ! And, when “these things” are evident in your life, when “these things” are that which you are being “diligent” to “do,” then “you will never stumble” and you will “make your call and election sure.”
A “fruitful” walk is what God has “called” you and I to, manifesting the very character of the Lord Jesus Christ through “things” that are evident in our lives, “things” so described in His Word. They are “things” that are not characteristics of those who are not believers. Note what our Lord said,
- “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.” (John 15:7-8 – NASB)
A believer is one who is constantly believing! For belief is an active thing, not a stagnant act. It is a constant effort being made by the one who is “called” to “bear much fruit, and so prove to be (Christ’s) disciple.” The “things” that Peter points out are a partial list of what defines the “fruit.”
We have a high calling brethren, and through the true “knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ,” we have defined for us how we are to walk out that calling.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, examine yourself as to whether these things Peter writes are evident in your life.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas