Join me also in taking a look into the holy Word of God,
- “Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble.”(II Peter 1:10 – NKJV)
A Christian, one who has been born again, is one who is called, who is elected. The apostle Peter speaks of this in our text. Writing to believers of the then-and-now, he encourages each one to “be even more diligent to make (their) call and election sure.” This surety is arrived at as we are “diligent” to look into what Peter has written regarding “these things” and subsequently, seek to make them evident in our walk as true believers in Christ.
The word “therefore” directs us back to what has been written previously. Thus, this is where we gain insight into what Peter lays out as “these things” that we, as those “who” are “called” by God (1:3), should know and see evidence of in our walk. They are,
- Virtue (V-5)
- Knowledge (V-5)
- Self-control (V-6)
- Perseverance (V-6)
- Godliness (V-6)
- Brotherly-kindness (V-7)
- Love (V-7)
- “For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.” (II Peter 1:8-9 – NKJV)
So . . . “if these things,” these listed characteristics of a believer, if they “are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” And this “knowledge” will lead to fruitfulness marked by “these things” that will in turn manifest Christ! And, when “these things” are evident in your life, when “these things” are that which you are being “diligent” to “do,” then “you will never stumble” and you will “make your call and election sure.”
A “fruitful” walk is what God has “called” you and I to, manifesting the very character of the Lord Jesus Christ through “things” that are evident in our lives, “things” so described in His Word. They are “things” that are not characteristics of those who are not believers. Note what our Lord said,
- “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.” (John 15:7-8 – NASB)
A believer is one who is constantly believing! For belief is an active thing, not a stagnant act. It is a constant effort being made by the one who is “called” to “bear much fruit, and so prove to be (Christ’s) disciple.” The “things” that Peter points out are a partial list of what defines the “fruit.”
We have a high calling brethren, and through the true “knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ,” we have defined for us how we are to walk out that calling.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, examine yourself as to whether these things Peter writes are evident in your life.
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store