Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the apostle Peter’s first letter we read,
- “For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps” (I Peter 2:21 – NASB)
If “you” are a disciple of Christ, if “you” have professed Him as Lord and Savior, if “you” have been born again by the Spirit of God, if all these things are true of “you,” then “you have been “called” for” a “purpose.” “You” are a disciple, a believer, one born again, one “called” by God for a “purpose.” Be sure that God does not do things haphazardly. He has a definite “purpose” for those He has saved . . . He has a definite “purpose” for “you” (as always, Romans 8:28-29).
The believers Peter was writing to were in the midst of suffering persecution. Persecution that came because they were followers of Jesus the Christ. To them and to us, we who have or will also suffer persecution, the apostle tells us that we have “an example . . . to follow” through it all. We are to “follow in His steps.” Jesus is our “example.”
Just what is an “example?” Zodhiates expounds on the Greek word here as meaning, “a writing copy, a pattern.” With that we understand that, in persecution, in suffering, we have a “copy,” a “pattern” determined by God for us to “follow;” it is found in His Son. Jesus has given us the “pattern” we are to “copy,” and when we do this we “follow in His steps,” in the “steps” of Him who is our “example.”
I sense that as the time in which you and I live continues to unfold, Christians are going to suffer more and more persecution. There will be in all of this a separation. Real believers will be made manifest. Those who are just acting out a role will become evident, and they will distance themselves from “Christ,” from the Word of God. There will come upon those who have “been called” troubling times.
As these times come, and be assured they will come, there is “an example for you to follow,” there are “steps” to “follow in.” It is to walk as He walked. In the midst of persecution, of suffering, of troubles that are brought on by Satan and his world, we are “called” to “follow in His steps.” For “Christ” is our “example,” He is the One we are to “copy,” He is our “pattern” for the “purpose” God has for those who are His “called.”
Have a good day. . . and as you walk, if persecution, if suffering should come, recall to your mind the example you have in Jesus and follow in His steps.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas