From the book of Ezekiel we read,
- “Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, ‘Repent, turn away from your idols, and turn your faces away from all your abominations.'” (Ezekiel 14:6 – NKJV)
And from the gospel of Luke,
- “And He said to them, ‘You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God.'” (Luke 16:15 – NKJV)
Both Old and New Testaments use the word “abomination.” And when used it is used in relationship to God. We are quick to speak of the things about God that we like, that are, so to say, comfortable, but what is often avoided is the matter that the same God considers many things to be an “abomination,” and such there are things He hates (cf. Proverbs 6:16-19; etc.).
This is a very frequent word in the Old Testament. It is the Hebrew word to-evah. It means, “something which is morally disgusting.” The word translated “abomination” in Luke 16 is a Greek word used just six times in the New Testament, but never the less, it is used. It means, “to turn away through loathing or disgust, to abhor.” The NASB translates the word, “detestable.”
God finds many things to be an “abomination.” They are “morally disgusting” to Him, He “abhors” them. And it is fitting for we who are disciples of Christ, children of the living God, to know what these things are and “to turn away” from them, “loathing” them just as our Father “loathes” them. Because God makes known to us the things that are an “abomination” to Him it behooves us to take note and be warned, for certain actions, characteristics, and behaviors are destructive to societies, to families, to individuals. An example of this would be the matter of homosexuality. Our society continues to advance this practice as an acceptable moral behavior, but in stark contrast to that, God calls this practice an “abomination” (Leviticus 18:22). In essence He warns us by His description of this act, that it is “morally disgusting,” that it is destructive (read Romans 1:18-32 to know how destructive it is).
Many modern day Bible readers tend to pass over the very clear lists of things God says are an “abomination.” Some say these are old-school teachings that the New Testament does not support. But yet, the New Testament also talks about that which is an “abomination” to God. The truth is, what God had written down as an abomination in the past still is such today. Truth transcends time, and God’s truth and His character never change (cf. Malachi 3:6) . . . and neither does what He considers to be an “abomination.”
It is true, that many of the ceremonies and customs carried out in the Old Testament no longer are observed. But then, those are civil matters, and civil matters can change. What does not change are moral matters, and what God says is “morally disgusting” in days past is just as “abhorrent” to Him today . . . and they are things we need to know and “to turn away” from.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be aware of what God hates and be of the same mind.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas