From Peter’s first letter we read,
- “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials.” (I Peter 1:3-6 – NASB)
The believers that Peter was writing to were facing “various trials.” They were being persecuted for their faith in Christ.
A letter exists that dates to this period of time when Peter wrote his letter. It is a letter from Pliny, governor of Bithynia, to the Roman emperor Trajan. The letter is believed to have been written somewhere around 112 A. D. In its content Pliny informed Trajan that he was executing people who confessed to be Christians. Trajan’s reply approved and further instructed Pliny to set free those people who would renounce their Christian faith and worship Caesar and Rome’s gods.
The Holy Spirit, no doubt, knew of this terrible persecution of the saints and such moved Peter along to write his epistle. Peter’s letter is one meant to instruct and edify Christians during the “various trials” that they were experiencing.
To his fellow believers Peter assures them that they have “an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away,” and that it is “reserved for (them) in heaven.” He goes on to tell them that, in the midst of their “various trials,” they “are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation to be revealed in the last time.” So, do not be un-nerved by your present conditions.
Instead, “in this you greatly rejoice.” You might suffer “for a little while,” being “distressed by various trials,” but know, Peter writes, that God “has caused you to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” The Lord has risen! In “various trials” you need to recall these things to mind. When you do, “in this you (will) greatly rejoice.”
And so it is for us brethren, so it is for us. Persecutions will come when we live godly in Christ,
- “And indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (II Timothy 3:12 – NASB)
As we live as Christians, as believers, ” our desire being to live godly in Christ Jesus,” our “faith” can hold us up when we are “persecuted.” Our knowledge of God’s words to us affirm that we have a “living hope” of “an inheritance,” that cannot possibly “fade away.” And brethren, it is the very culmination of our “salvation,” and it is “reserved in heaven for” us.
So no matter what the world throws our way, strive to “live godly,” and when (not if) “various trials” come, recall to mind the wonderful assurances of God’s Word . . . and “in this you greatly rejoice.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and walk godly and face the persecutions and trials associated with such a walk by rejoicing in what our Lord has done, is doing, and is going to do.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas