Did you know brethren that we live in “perilous times?” In the apostle Paul’s last letter to his beloved son in the faith Timothy, he gave this insight to the young pastor,
- “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come” (II Timothy 3:1 – NKJV)
As the apostle penned his final letter he assured his beloved disciple that, “perilous times will come.” You and I are in the know, for the Holy Spirit has revealed this to us in holy writ. We know now what Timothy knew then, and we know it is true, don’t we?
We know it is true because the characteristics of these “times” are listed by the Spirit in verses two through eight, and with a little discernment we can see that these things are most prevalent today, the day in which you and I live. I would challenge you to take note of them and then ask yourself, “Do these things not characterize our day? Are they not indeed, very evident?”
If you have done this, and if you are in agreement that these characteristics of “perilous times” are prevalent today then I would think your most obvious response would be a question . . . “Now that I know this Lord, what am I to do in these ‘last days,” these “perilous times?'”
The answer is in Paul’s words to young Timothy, words so written for our admonition also. Paul starts,
- “But you . . .” (II Timothy 3:10 – NKJV)
Paul addresses the young preacher and the Spirit addresses the reader of Scripture; “But you . . .”
- “carefully follow my doctrine” (We are to “carefully follow” the teaching of the Scriptures – cf. 3:14-17)
- “carefully follow my . . . manner of life”
- “carefully follow my . . . purpose”
- “carefully follow my . . . faith”
- “carefully follow my . . . longsuffering”
- “carefully follow my . . . love”
- “carefully follow my . . . perseverance”
- “carefully follow my . . . persecutions” (Note here V-12)
- “carefully follow my . . . afflictions” (One might say, “follow how I react when I am afflicted”) (II Timothy 3:10-11 – NKJV)
So, “in the last days,” in “perilous times,” what am I to do? I am to “carefully follow” the pattern of instruction given to me by the Holy Spirit in the Scriptures, characteristics that were evident in the apostle Paul.
To be a Christian in this day, to be a Christian that is in the Word of God in this day, to be a Christian that desires to know the will of God in these “perilous times,” is to be a Christian that “follows” the pattern for life as laid out by God in His Word.
Have a good day. . . and I trust you will never cease to be a disciple who is carefully searching the Scriptures daily for its instruction in righteousness in these perilous times.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas