Did you know brethren that we live in “perilous times?” In the apostle Paul’s last letter to his beloved son in the faith Timothy, he gave this insight to the young pastor,
- “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come” (II Timothy 3:1 – NKJV)
As the apostle penned his final letter he assured his beloved disciple that, “perilous times will come.” You and I are in the know, for the Holy Spirit has revealed this to us in holy writ. We know now what Timothy knew then, and we know it is true, don’t we?
We know it is true because the characteristics of these “times” are listed by the Spirit in verses two through eight, and with a little discernment we can see that these things are most prevalent today, the day in which you and I live. I would challenge you to take note of them and then ask yourself, “Do these things not characterize our day? Are they not indeed, very evident?”
If you have done this, and if you are in agreement that these characteristics of “perilous times” are prevalent today then I would think your most obvious response would be a question . . . “Now that I know this Lord, what am I to do in these ‘last days,” these “perilous times?'”
The answer is in Paul’s words to young Timothy, words so written for our admonition also. Paul starts,
- “But you . . .” (II Timothy 3:10 – NKJV)
Paul addresses the young preacher and the Spirit addresses the reader of Scripture; “But you . . .”
- “carefully follow my doctrine” (We are to “carefully follow” the teaching of the Scriptures – cf. 3:14-17)
- “carefully follow my . . . manner of life”
- “carefully follow my . . . purpose”
- “carefully follow my . . . faith”
- “carefully follow my . . . longsuffering”
- “carefully follow my . . . love”
- “carefully follow my . . . perseverance”
- “carefully follow my . . . persecutions” (Note here V-12)
- “carefully follow my . . . afflictions” (One might say, “follow how I react when I am afflicted”) (II Timothy 3:10-11 – NKJV)
So, “in the last days,” in “perilous times,” what am I to do? I am to “carefully follow” the pattern of instruction given to me by the Holy Spirit in the Scriptures, characteristics that were evident in the apostle Paul.
To be a Christian in this day, to be a Christian that is in the Word of God in this day, to be a Christian that desires to know the will of God in these “perilous times,” is to be a Christian that “follows” the pattern for life as laid out by God in His Word.
Have a good day. . . and I trust you will never cease to be a disciple who is carefully searching the Scriptures daily for its instruction in righteousness in these perilous times.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR