Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the book of Hebrews we read,
- “For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.” (Hebrews 5:13-14 – NASB)
So, the Scriptures, our food (Matthew 4:4), are compared to “milk” and “solid food” (the KJV uses the words “strong meat”). I think it right to cut the pieces straight here . . . “milk” is for “babes” and “solid food” is for “the mature.”
The author of Hebrews is taking his readers to task, verbally chastising them,
- “For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.” (Hebrews 5:12 – NASB)
He lets them know that they “ought to be teachers,” they “ought” to be “mature” when it comes to “the oracles of God.” But they were instead in “need” that “someone teach” them “the elementary principles of the oracles of God.” These professing believers were “needing milk” when they “ought” to be feeding on “solid food.”
This same condition faced the professing believers in Corinth,
- “And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to babes in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able.” (I Corinthians 3:1-2 – NASB)
Paul was dealing with “babes” also, not “able” to give them “solid food.” They lacked maturity in “the oracles of God,” in the Word of God, in the Scriptures. Their diet required “milk” because,
- ” . . . you are still fleshly” (I Corinthians 3:3 – NASB)
The diet of a disciple of Christ has to be large portions of the Word. The intent is that he or she become “mature” and “able” to . . .
- Walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4)
- Walk in a manner worthy of the calling by which he/she has been called (Ephesians 4:1)
- Be transformed in his/her thinking (Romans 12:2)
- Be able to destroy speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God (II Corinthians 10:5)
- Be able to stand strong (Ephesians 6:11)
- Be able to earnestly contend for the faith (Jude 3)
- Be able to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ (Ephesians 4:15)
Let’s make this a challenging devotion and ask ourselves, “How’s your diet?” Are you needing “milk” or are you feeding on “solid food?” Are you “mature” in “the oracles of God,” advanced in “the elementary principles?” Or are you a professing disciple who needs to have someone “teach you” these things “again?”
The reason so many cults and movements and false teachers exist today, that so many have been able to continue, is that they have been successful in drawing away disciples to their false teaching. I have been witness to many in the church who have been seduced by those who adulterate the Word of God. Why has this happened and why does it continue to happen? Because the church is so full of “babes” who know not “the oracles of God, “who because of” lack of “practice” do not “have their senses trained to discern good and evil.”
Many, in our day, think that Bible study is like chewing on round steak, a slow and arduous task. “The word of righteousness” and the intense study of it has been laid aside for other things that please the “senses.” It has created an anemic church, a church suffering from anorexia, a church that instead of being “mature” and thus, thriving off of “solid food,” craves “milk.”
How’s your diet?
Have a good day . . . and may God challenge you through His Word to get busy becoming a person who is no longer in need of milk but is thriving on solid food.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas