From the book of Hebrews we read,
- “For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.” (Hebrews 5:13-14 – NASB)
So, the Scriptures, our food (Matthew 4:4), are compared to “milk” and “solid food” (the KJV uses the words “strong meat”). I think it right to cut the pieces straight here . . . “milk” is for “babes” and “solid food” is for “the mature.”
The author of Hebrews is taking his readers to task, verbally chastising them,
- “For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.” (Hebrews 5:12 – NASB)
He lets them know that they “ought to be teachers,” they “ought” to be “mature” when it comes to “the oracles of God.” But they were instead in “need” that “someone teach” them “the elementary principles of the oracles of God.” These professing believers were “needing milk” when they “ought” to be feeding on “solid food.”
This same condition faced the professing believers in Corinth,
- “And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to babes in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able.” (I Corinthians 3:1-2 – NASB)
Paul was dealing with “babes” also, not “able” to give them “solid food.” They lacked maturity in “the oracles of God,” in the Word of God, in the Scriptures. Their diet required “milk” because,
- ” . . . you are still fleshly” (I Corinthians 3:3 – NASB)
The diet of a disciple of Christ has to be large portions of the Word. The intent is that he or she become “mature” and “able” to . . .
- Walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4)
- Walk in a manner worthy of the calling by which he/she has been called (Ephesians 4:1)
- Be transformed in his/her thinking (Romans 12:2)
- Be able to destroy speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God (II Corinthians 10:5)
- Be able to stand strong (Ephesians 6:11)
- Be able to earnestly contend for the faith (Jude 3)
- Be able to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ (Ephesians 4:15)
Let’s make this a challenging devotion and ask ourselves, “How’s your diet?” Are you needing “milk” or are you feeding on “solid food?” Are you “mature” in “the oracles of God,” advanced in “the elementary principles?” Or are you a professing disciple who needs to have someone “teach you” these things “again?”
The reason so many cults and movements and false teachers exist today, that so many have been able to continue, is that they have been successful in drawing away disciples to their false teaching. I have been witness to many in the church who have been seduced by those who adulterate the Word of God. Why has this happened and why does it continue to happen? Because the church is so full of “babes” who know not “the oracles of God, “who because of” lack of “practice” do not “have their senses trained to discern good and evil.”
Many, in our day, think that Bible study is like chewing on round steak, a slow and arduous task. “The word of righteousness” and the intense study of it has been laid aside for other things that please the “senses.” It has created an anemic church, a church suffering from anorexia, a church that instead of being “mature” and thus, thriving off of “solid food,” craves “milk.”
How’s your diet?
Have a good day . . . and may God challenge you through His Word to get busy becoming a person who is no longer in need of milk but is thriving on solid food.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR