A new day unfolds, given by the hand of God . . . and we who are His called offer up praise to Him for it, knowing that each day is His to do with as He sees fit. I think of the work that is going on around the world to bring the gospel to the unsaved, to translate the Word of God into a language that has no Bible, to minister to the sick and dying . . . and I am reminded this very day that God is at work! Praise His glorious name!
Let’s take a look a Scripture text from the book of Acts,
- “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” (Acts 2:36 – NKJV)
As Peter spoke on the Day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit empowered him and gave him the words that God would desire the people of that time to hear. As we read these words in our particular day and time, we also are counseled by the Spirit as to specific truths regarding the founder of our salvation, regarding “Jesus.”
Peter made a pronouncement regarding certain titles that God has bestowed on Jesus, the One who walked among men, who was crucified, dead, and buried, and who rose up from the grave . . . “this Jesus” Peter said, “God has made . . . both Lord and Christ.”
He is Lord
Often in our worship services, we sing the familiar praise song, “He is Lord.” But do we really grasp what that title entails? Do we know what it really means?
The word “Lord” is the Greek word kyrios. It means, “supreme authority, i.e., (as noun) controller; by implication, Master” (Strong’s). As one has written, it “primarily refers to the right to rule.” Its inherent meaning is not deity but rulership.
The word Kyrios is used in the Bible to describe a master or owner and was also used by pagans as a title for their heathen deities. It was a title of respect for anyone in control. One of the problems of Peter’s day was that the Roman emperor was given this title, and thus, to say that “Jesus” was “Lord” was to cause Rome to ask, “Just who do you bow your knee to?” What Peter said here in Acts 2 was bold and confrontational, especially since he made it in the public square.
A Powerful Title
It is a powerful title! The translators of the Greek Old Testament used kyrios to translate the name of God, the Hebrew word that we see in our Bibles as, “LORD” (all caps – a word that speaks of God’s name, “Yahweh.”).
But primarily, it means “the right to rule; Master.” And Peter stands before the Jews and proclaims that “this Jesus, whom you crucified . . . God has made (Him) . . . Lord.” He is the “Master,” the One who is to “rule” our lives, the One that will one-day “rule” the nations. Peter, in essence, says, “Caesar is not your Lord but Jesus is, for God has made Him such.” Per Peter’s words, that trumps Caesar’s lordship or anyone else that we would attempt to give control of our lives.
In the Lordship controversy that exists in the church today, there is disagreement as to whether one needs to confess Jesus as Lord and Savior, or just Savior to be saved. One thing is for sure, “Jesus” is “Lord,” and that’s something we cannot decide upon or change. For “God has made this Jesus . . . Lord.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do so knowing that if you have been saved, you have a Master, as God has sovereignly ordained, and this Master is Christ.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas