- “Nor grumble, as some of them did . . .” (I Corinthians 10:10 – NASB)
Grumbling! A common trait amongst people, is it not? And so often, a common practice among we who are in Christ. I know, because all too often I find myself doing it.
The word “grumble” means, “to murmur or mutter in discontent . . . growl . . . rumble . . . complaining; a discontented mood.” The KJV uses the word “murmur” whereas the newer translations use “grumble.”
The command to us from Paul’s letter to the Philippians is clear,
- “Do all things without grumbling . . .” (Philippians 2:14 – NASB)
So, brethren, we are to “do all things without” murmuring, without having an attitude of “discontent,” not “growling,” not “rumbling” in “complaining” about this and that, having a “mood” that is “discontented” with “things.” The world does this! You hear it and see it all the time as you come into contact with people. From complaining about the weather to being discontented with one’s state in life to growling about the job they have . . . . . people “grumble.”
And I am of the mind that they like to “grumble.” It is, amongst non-believers, an expected behavior, would you not agree? And that is where we differ, we who walk according to the Word of God. We differ in that we do not “complain,” we do not “growl,” we do not “moan and groan,” we do not move about in a spirit of “discontentment.” And when we do not join in with this prevailing and preferred attitude people note the difference, and believe me, they do notice! And they tend to ask, “Why are you not joining in with us in our grumbling?”
And we witness . . . . and we tell them why, and we tell them who it is that we serve. And we tell them that we have nothing to “grumble” about. Such contrast serves as a platform by which to convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment (John 16:8), and thus, of the need for Christ.
Remarkable, isn’t it, how the instruction from God’s Word to us, as we conform to it, bears witness to the world in which you and I live of how one’s attitude really ought to be.
Father, we who are Yours all too often “grumble,” and we confess that . . . and we desire to turn from it!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do all things without grumbling.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas