From the book of James we read:
- “You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.” (James 4:4 – NASB)
There is a core within so-called evangelicalism today that is saying, “if we look more like them, act more like them, they will be more likely to be attracted to us.”
According to the Scriptures I do not buy that reasoning for a minute!
Jesus surely never gave us such a mandate! The apostle Paul never gave us such an example (note his ministry in Athens in Acts 17)! Scripture never leads us to believe such a message!
Our Lord said very clearly,
- “If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.” (John 15:18-19 – NASB)
The reason “the world hates” the disciple of Christ is because of the message of that disciple, because of the way that disciple lives, because that disciple will not alter their message, will not fudge on the proclamation of God’s Word, and will not conform to the world’s standard of living. Just as Christ did not waiver in these things so His disciples do not waiver. And thus, “the world hates you,” hating you because it “hated (Him) before.”
We are not to take on the dressings of the world in an attempt to make our message of the cross more acceptable to the masses. We are not to make a “friendship” with “the world” that in any way, shape, or form will adulterate the Word of God.
Beware brethren . . . . be Bereans! Do not allow yourself to be duped by Satan into catering to “the world” and its sinful ways. Do not allow yourself to compromise the message of the cross! “The world” would desire us to do that, but we must not let it happen! Be aware and recall to mind,
- “. . . friendship with the world is hostility toward God. Therefore, whoever wishes to be a friend to the world make himself an enemy of God.”
Little doubt as to what the Holy Spirit is saying to us in this text, would you not agree?
Have a good day . . . . and as you walk do so as a disciple of Christ in a world that you know is hostile to Him, but needs the truth of Him oh so much.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas