Let me ask you a question . . . Do you desire after God? Do you long to have an intimate relationship with Him? Do you long after Him more than after the things of this world?
The psalmist writes,
- “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for Thee, O God.” (Psalm 42:1 – NASB)
Once a rebellious people who never sought Him out, now a redeemed people, one would think now a people who always seek Him, a people who say with the psalmist, “my soul pants for Thee, O God;” is that you?
Can we say,
- “My soul thirsts for God, for the living God . . .” (Psalm 42:2 – NASB)
Just think of it! God in His great mercy and love, considering sinners such as you and I, sending His one and only Son to be the great sacrifice for our sin, that we might pass out of death and into life through His atoning work. God, the Creator, showing His desire to reconcile man to Himself . . . a rebellious man, a totally depraved man.
If we are in Christ now, saved from the penalty due our sin, saved from the wrath to come, saved from everlasting hell, should we not be a people that “as the deer pants for the water, so (our) soul pants for . . . God . . . thirsts for the living God?”
Whether in good times or in bad, if we are in Christ, we have a hope that transcends time. It is a burning light, this hope, that can never be extinguished, a hope given to us by our loving Father in heaven. And what is our response to all of this? Should it not be as the Scripture says?
- “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for Thee, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God”
I fear we take our many blessings for granted . . . that we tend to forget what God has done for us in Christ. I fear we chase after the things of this world and long for them more than we “pant” after, “thirst” after our “God,” He who is “the living God.”
The psalmist in writing these words was in troubled times, in exile, and surely his conditions prompted him to pen these heartfelt words. They are words meant for our counsel . . . so let us who are His, let us in good times as well as bad take note, and be as “the deer” and greatly desire our “God,” the “living God.”
Have a good day . . . and I would encourage you to do a heart-check, and in doing so ask yourself, “Do I desire after God?”
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas