DATE: 537 B.C.
AUTHOR: Daniel, from the Tribe of Judah DATE: 537 B.C.
The Prophet Daniel, whose name means “God is my judge,” was from the Tribe of Judah. He was taken captive, when a youth, in the first siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon in 605 B.C. He was made a statesman in the court of the heathen Babylonian monarchy and spent the rest of his long life there as a governmental official and a prophet of the true God. He claims authorship of this book in Daniel 12:4, and Jesus Christ identified him as a prophet in Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14. Although Daniel spoke God’s words as prophets did, he did not hold the prophetic office. Therefore, the book of Daniel is found in the third division of the Hebrew Bible, the “Writings,” rather than in the second, “The Prophets.” Throughout Daniel’s life, he was uncompromising and faithful to his God.
In 605 B.C., when Nebuchadnezzar took Daniel and other nobles as captives to Babylon, Daniel was given a place of prominence and responsibility in Nebuchadnezzar’s kingdom (Daniel 2). After the King Nebuchadnezzar’s death, Daniel fell from favor but was not completely forgotten and was called to interpret the writing that appeared at Belshazzar’s feast (Daniel 5:13). Under Darius, he was made one of three prime ministers (Daniel 6:1). Daniel lived until the third year of Cyrus (536). His ministry was to testify to the power of God, with his words and by his life.
God was present with His people throughout their 70 years of exile in Babylon, and Daniel was a blessing to the people with his prophetic words of God’s plan for their future and His far future plans for the nation of Israel. In addition, Daniel also traced the course of Gentile world powers from his day to the second coming of Christ.
- Important prophecies in the book of Daniel include:
- the course of Gentile kingdoms (the future of Babylon, Persia, Greece, and Rome, Daniel 2 and 7)
- details concerning Medo-Persia and Greece (Daniel 8)
- more details concerning Greece (Daniel 11)
- the prophecy of the 70 weeks of years (Daniel 9:24-27)
- and the activities of Antichrist (Daniel 11:36-45).
Among the doctrines found in the book are:
- personal separation (Daniel 1:8; 3:12; 6:10; 9:2-3; 10:2-3)
- angels (Daniel 8:16; 9:21; 10:13, 20-21; 11:1)
- resurrection (Daniel 12:2)
- Antichrist (Daniel 7:24-25; 9:27; 11:36).
Favorite stories include those of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego (Daniel 3), and Daniel in the lions’ den (Daniel 6).
OUTLINE OF DANIEL
I. Daniel’s Dedication, 1:1-21
A. Daniel’s Circumstances, 1:1-7
B. Daniel’s Dedication, 1:8-16
C. Daniel’s Rise to Favor, 1:17-21
II. Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream: The Great Image, 2:1-49
A. The Dream Received by Nebuchadnezzar, 2:1-6
B. The Dream Revealed to Daniel, 2:7-23
C. The Dream Recited and Interpreted to Nebuchadnezzar, 2:24-45
D. The Promotion of Daniel, 2:46-49
III. The Fiery Furnace: A Lesson in Faith, 3:1-30
A. The Test of Faith, 3:1-12
B. The Demonstration of Faith, 3:13-18
C. The Vindication of Faith, 3:19-30
IV. Nebuchadnezzar’s Vision of the High Tree, 4:1-37
A. The Vision Narrated by Nebuchadnezzar, 4:1-18
B. The Vision Interpreted by Daniel, 4:19-27
C. The Vision Fulfilled by God, 4:28-37
V. Belshazzar’s Feast, 5:1-31
A. Belshazzar’s Contribution to the Feast: Unrestrained Sensuality, 5:1-4
B. God’s Contribution to the Feast: Handwriting on the Wall, 5:5-6
C. Daniel’s Contribution to the Feast: Announcement of Doom, 5:7-29
D. Darius’s Contribution to the Feast: Destruction of Babylon, 5:30-31
VI. Daniel in the Lions’ Den, 6:1-28
A. The Position of Daniel, 6:1-3
B. The Plot Against Daniel, 6:4-9
C. The Prayer of Daniel, 6:10-11
D. The Prosecution of Daniel, 6:12-17
E. The Protection of Daniel, 6:18-28
VII. Daniel’s Vision of the Four Beasts and the Ancient of Days, 7:1-28
A. Historical Data, 7:1-3
B. The Vision and the Interpretation, 7:4-28
VIII. Daniel’s Vision of the Ram, Goat, and Small Horn, 8:1-27
A. The Vision, 8:1-14
B. The Interpretation, 8:15-27
1. The ram, 8:15-20
2. The goat, 8:21-22
3. The small horn, 8:23-25
4. The effect on Daniel, 8:26-27
IX. Daniel’s Prophecy of Seventy Weeks of Years, 10:1-12:13
A. Historical Data, 9:1-2
B. Daniel’s Prayer, 9:3-19
C. The Prophecy, 9:20-27
X. Daniel’s Prophetic Panorama, 10:1-12:13
A. Daniel’s Vision, 10:1-9
B. Daniel’s Strengthening, 10:10-11:1
C. Prophecies Concerning the Nations, 11:2-45
1. Persia, 11:2
2. Greece, 11:3-4
3. Egypt and Aram, 11:5-20
4. Antiochus Epiphanes, 11:21-35
5. Antichrist, 11:36-45
D. Prophecies Concerning Israel, 12:1-13
Articles about the Book of Daniel
What About the Beasts of Daniel 7? — A Different Perspective
What is the Metal Man Statue of Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream in Daniel 2?
Daniel and His Friends in the Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11)
What is the Seventieth Week of Daniel?
Daniel Overview and Outline
But If Not …the Faith of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Daniel 3)
Might the United States be in Prophecy? Great Britain and Russia? (Daniel 7)
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas