DATE: 537 B.C.
AUTHOR: Daniel, from the Tribe of Judah DATE: 537 B.C.
The Prophet Daniel, whose name means “God is my judge,” was from the Tribe of Judah. He was taken captive, when a youth, in the first siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon in 605 B.C. He was made a statesman in the court of the heathen Babylonian monarchy and spent the rest of his long life there as a governmental official and a prophet of the true God. He claims authorship of this book in Daniel 12:4, and Jesus Christ identified him as a prophet in Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14. Although Daniel spoke God’s words as prophets did, he did not hold the prophetic office. Therefore, the book of Daniel is found in the third division of the Hebrew Bible, the “Writings,” rather than in the second, “The Prophets.” Throughout Daniel’s life, he was uncompromising and faithful to his God.
In 605 B.C., when Nebuchadnezzar took Daniel and other nobles as captives to Babylon, Daniel was given a place of prominence and responsibility in Nebuchadnezzar’s kingdom (Daniel 2). After the King Nebuchadnezzar’s death, Daniel fell from favor but was not completely forgotten and was called to interpret the writing that appeared at Belshazzar’s feast (Daniel 5:13). Under Darius, he was made one of three prime ministers (Daniel 6:1). Daniel lived until the third year of Cyrus (536). His ministry was to testify to the power of God, with his words and by his life.
God was present with His people throughout their 70 years of exile in Babylon, and Daniel was a blessing to the people with his prophetic words of God’s plan for their future and His far future plans for the nation of Israel. In addition, Daniel also traced the course of Gentile world powers from his day to the second coming of Christ.
- Important prophecies in the book of Daniel include:
- the course of Gentile kingdoms (the future of Babylon, Persia, Greece, and Rome, Daniel 2 and 7)
- details concerning Medo-Persia and Greece (Daniel 8)
- more details concerning Greece (Daniel 11)
- the prophecy of the 70 weeks of years (Daniel 9:24-27)
- and the activities of Antichrist (Daniel 11:36-45).
Among the doctrines found in the book are:
- personal separation (Daniel 1:8; 3:12; 6:10; 9:2-3; 10:2-3)
- angels (Daniel 8:16; 9:21; 10:13, 20-21; 11:1)
- resurrection (Daniel 12:2)
- Antichrist (Daniel 7:24-25; 9:27; 11:36).
Favorite stories include those of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego (Daniel 3), and Daniel in the lions’ den (Daniel 6).
OUTLINE OF DANIEL
I. Daniel’s Dedication, 1:1-21
A. Daniel’s Circumstances, 1:1-7
B. Daniel’s Dedication, 1:8-16
C. Daniel’s Rise to Favor, 1:17-21
II. Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream: The Great Image, 2:1-49
A. The Dream Received by Nebuchadnezzar, 2:1-6
B. The Dream Revealed to Daniel, 2:7-23
C. The Dream Recited and Interpreted to Nebuchadnezzar, 2:24-45
D. The Promotion of Daniel, 2:46-49
III. The Fiery Furnace: A Lesson in Faith, 3:1-30
A. The Test of Faith, 3:1-12
B. The Demonstration of Faith, 3:13-18
C. The Vindication of Faith, 3:19-30
IV. Nebuchadnezzar’s Vision of the High Tree, 4:1-37
A. The Vision Narrated by Nebuchadnezzar, 4:1-18
B. The Vision Interpreted by Daniel, 4:19-27
C. The Vision Fulfilled by God, 4:28-37
V. Belshazzar’s Feast, 5:1-31
A. Belshazzar’s Contribution to the Feast: Unrestrained Sensuality, 5:1-4
B. God’s Contribution to the Feast: Handwriting on the Wall, 5:5-6
C. Daniel’s Contribution to the Feast: Announcement of Doom, 5:7-29
D. Darius’s Contribution to the Feast: Destruction of Babylon, 5:30-31
VI. Daniel in the Lions’ Den, 6:1-28
A. The Position of Daniel, 6:1-3
B. The Plot Against Daniel, 6:4-9
C. The Prayer of Daniel, 6:10-11
D. The Prosecution of Daniel, 6:12-17
E. The Protection of Daniel, 6:18-28
VII. Daniel’s Vision of the Four Beasts and the Ancient of Days, 7:1-28
A. Historical Data, 7:1-3
B. The Vision and the Interpretation, 7:4-28
VIII. Daniel’s Vision of the Ram, Goat, and Small Horn, 8:1-27
A. The Vision, 8:1-14
B. The Interpretation, 8:15-27
1. The ram, 8:15-20
2. The goat, 8:21-22
3. The small horn, 8:23-25
4. The effect on Daniel, 8:26-27
IX. Daniel’s Prophecy of Seventy Weeks of Years, 10:1-12:13
A. Historical Data, 9:1-2
B. Daniel’s Prayer, 9:3-19
C. The Prophecy, 9:20-27
X. Daniel’s Prophetic Panorama, 10:1-12:13
A. Daniel’s Vision, 10:1-9
B. Daniel’s Strengthening, 10:10-11:1
C. Prophecies Concerning the Nations, 11:2-45
1. Persia, 11:2
2. Greece, 11:3-4
3. Egypt and Aram, 11:5-20
4. Antiochus Epiphanes, 11:21-35
5. Antichrist, 11:36-45
D. Prophecies Concerning Israel, 12:1-13
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store