From the book of Second Kings we read,
- “Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned fifty-five years in Jerusalem . . . And he did evil in the sight of the LORD” (II Kings 21:1-2 – NKJV)
Just yesterday it was reported on the news that another government official was exposed for lying, in this particular case, lying about his military service. This official, appointed by the current administration that governs our nation, heads up a very important department of the government. His leadership will now be forever in question, one always being prone to doubt the reliability of what he has to say.
It is safe to say, and I say it with all sincerity, that our government and its leaders have become highly suspect in their ability to be trusted to speak the truth, to deal righteously, and to act godly. They seem to act like they’re gods at times but if measured against the backdrop of God’s Word, they are found wanting. Corruption in Washington, in state and local governments, dots the headlines of our printed and televised media on a regular basis. Our president, a man who wheels a great deal of influence, has been caught in bold lies, saying one thing then saying another; saying something and then saying he never said it. He has spoken in favor of moral issues that the Bible condemns and thus led his people into sin. Brethren, the crux of the matter is that corrupt leaders bring judgment. God is aware of every turn of the screw, and He will not allow unrepentant sin to go unpunished, He will bring judgment (Romans 1:18-32)!
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about contrasting lessons in leadership. It was a comparison of kings, King Manasseh and King Josiah. It behooves us to note the lesson of Scripture regarding the defilement of the land of Judah that King Manasseh brought about.
Groomed by his godly father, King Hezekiah, Manasseh did not heed his father’s teaching and he became the most evil and corrupt king in Judah’s history. It is said of him,
- “. . . he did evil in the sight of the LORD, according to the abominations of the nations whom the LORD had cast out before the children of Israel. For he rebuilt the high places . . . he raised up altars for Baal and made a wooden image . . . he worshipped all the host of heaven and served them. He also built altars in the house of the LORD . . . he built altars for all the host of heaven . . . he made his son pass through the fire, practiced soothsaying, used witchcraft, and consulted spiritists and mediums. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD . . . He even set a carved image of Asherah (in the house of the LORD)” (II Kings 21:2-7 – NKJV)
It is said in Scripture that,
- “. . . Manasseh seduced them (the people of Judah) to do more evil than the nations whom the LORD had destroyed before the children of Israel.” (II Kings 21:9 – NKJV)
Further it is written that,
- “Moreover, Manasseh shed very much innocent blood till he had filled Jerusalem from one end to another . . .” (II Kings 21:16 – NKJV)
And because of this King’s sin, God, through His prophets, said that He would remove Judah from His sight, scatter them, allow other nations to conquer them and take them captive (cf. II Kings 23:26-27).
Point? The history of the Old Testament, of God’s dealings with Judah and the nations makes it clear that – corrupt leaders bring judgment!
“Manasseh seduced” his people into evil practices, and sad to say, our current day leaders are doing the same thing. Make no mistake about it, corrupt leaders that turn their backs on God’s Word, on God’s commandments, seduce their people into doing the same thing . . . . . . and corrupt leaders bring judgment!
Have a good day brethren . . . and though our nation is staggering, we need to pray for our leaders that the Holy Spirit would bring conviction on their hearts of their evil ways, their sin, and that they would then repent and turn to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Only then will they be able to govern rightly.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas