May we awaken the dawn with praise, with hearts turned toward Him who is worthy to receive all honor, glory, and adoration. We who have been born again of the Spirit of God are vessels of praise, vessels that are meant to proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called us out of darkness and into His marvelous light (I Peter 2:9).
Called from darkness into light . . . two stark contrasts that note where we were as opposed to where we are . . .
- “for you were formerly darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light” (Ephesians 5:8 – NASB)
You “were formerly darkness.” What does that mean? Well, “darkness,” in the intellectual sense, refers to ignorance. Yes, when we were without Christ, when we were lost in our sin, children of wrath, sons of disobedience, we were dead (Ephesians 2:1-3) . . . and when one is dead they are in a state of ignorance, in the deepest “darkness,” void of truth. In a moral sense, “darkness” refers to evil. When one is in a state of “darkness” they are ignorant of God’s will, of His truth, and such, in this ignorance, they do evil things.
I think of today’s youth often. I know that in our current so-called education system they are being taught that which keeps them in a state of ignorance, keeps them in “darkness.” Oh, they may be book smart, knowledgeable in the things of the world, know the evolutionary chain, know how to add and subtract, but in that which really matters, they are in “darkness.” And it shows in many of their deeds, as there are those who are choosing to commit terrible crimes against others, and after they’ve done their evil, they take their own life. Do you think that if they knew the will of God, if they knew His truth, if they were “children of light” they would be so readily inclined to take another life, to take their own life? “Darkness” is a terrible realm in which to “walk.”
In contrast to this “darkness,” what Christians “formerly” were, the Bible says of those who have been born again that they “are light in the Lord.” In the intellectual sense “light” symbolizes truth. In the moral sense it refers to holiness. As someone has noted, “Intellectual light represents knowledge of the truth and results in moral light.” It means one is knowledgeable of how to live the truth, how to do good things. “In the Lord” refers to positional truth, and those “in Christ” heed His calling to . . .
- “. . . be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise.. . . do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness . . . do not be foolish, but understanding what the will of the Lord is . . . (and thus) . . . walk as children of light” (Ephesians 5:11, 15, 17, 8 – NASB)
“Walk as children of light,” and stop “participating in the unfruitful deeds of darkness!” Stop being “foolish!” Rather realize that you are “light” and no longer “darkness,” and those who are “light” are active in “understanding what the will of the Lord is” and doing it!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do so as children of light, trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord (Ephesians 5:10).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas