Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Note what the apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthian believers,
- “For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life.” (II Corinthians 2:15-16 – NASB)
It is an amazing contrast of effects that a person who is in Christ can have “among” those around him or her. If we follow the example of Paul, as he so instructed us to do in I Corinthians 11:1, to be “imitators of” him, then we will have a very profound effect on the world around us. And that effect will be “to the one an aroma from death to death” and “to the other an aroma from life to life.”
How are we to understand these contrasting effects, these opposite effects? In the day in which you and I live there are many messages being conveyed all around us. For instance, in the political arena there are those who live and espouse a conservative message, while there are those who, in contrast, speak forth and live out what is termed a liberal message. These contrasting messages have different effects on different people. Some receive the one message as smelling sweet while others believe it to be of a repugnant aroma. One considers the conservative message best and embraces it with a fervor while another takes the liberal message and becomes a zealot for it. Their lives and their conveyance of their messages certainly garner differing responses.
Christ, lived out in a believers life, will also bring contrasting effects, just as our text implies. The wonderful message of the Gospel will as one has said, “yield two diametrically opposite results.” Note,
- “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” (John 3:36 – NASB)
- “For this is contained in Scripture: ‘Behold I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious corner stone, and he who believes in Him shall not be disappointed’ . . . But for those who disbelieve, ‘The stone which the builders rejected, this became the very corner stone, and a stone of stumbling and rock of offense’” (I Peter 2:6-8 – NASB)
The testimony we convey as disciples of Christ brings contrasting effects. To some it is a message that provokes them to anger, hatred, and disdain. To others, it is a message that is received with favor. To one the message stinks and to the other it has a sweet smelling “aroma.” What is a wonderful thing to know is that whether our testimony for the Gospel “among” the people we come in contact with brings “life” or “death,” it is still “a fragrance of Christ to God,” and that brethren, matters the most.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be that fragrance of Christ to God.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas