- “In everything give thanks for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (I Thessalonians 5:18 – NASB)
And it should be our pleasure to do His will and to give thanks to Him for He is worthy of such . . . for,
- “. . . we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent , to be pleasing to Him” (II Corinthians 5:9 – NASB)
His will, His desire . . . our desire, “our ambition.” And His will is not something we are ignorant of. It is given to us in His Word, the Bible. In this greatest of all books is our code of conduct, the Father’s “will for (us) in Christ Jesus.”
To the believers in Thessalonica the apostle Paul, as he was directed by the Holy Spirit to write, listed commands for conduct that believers “in Christ” are called to. Commands that are the Creator’s will for His redeemed subjects, those He has purchased out of the slave market of sin to walk in this world as witnesses for Him, conveying to the world a new manner of behavior that is in stark contrast to that of the those who are “dead in their trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1-4). Note some of these commands in First Thessalonians, chapter five. The verbs are in the present tense, in the imperative mood, thus indicating they are commands to be observed on a continuing basis.
- “Rejoice always” – for we are to be a people who constantly reflect on where we were and where God, “in Christ,” has brought us. Such reflection causes us to “rejoice.”
- “Pray without ceasing” – for we are to be a people always in prayer, always communicating with our Lord, responding to the things the Spirit brings to our minds as we move to and fro.
- “In everything give thanks” – for we are to be a grateful people, we who were lost and are now saved “in Christ.”
- “Do not quench the Spirit” – for we are to be a people doing what the Spirit instructs us to do through His Word.
- “Do not despise prophetic utterances” – for we are to be a people that listen attentively to the teaching of God’s Word.
- “But examine everything carefully” – for we are to be a people that continually practice biblical discernment, constantly examining whether something is truth or error, good or evil, of God or not of Him.
- “Hold fast to that which is good” – for we are to be a people who, by God’s Word, know what is good and hold fast to it.
- “Abstain from every form of evil” – for we are to be a people who desire to keep ourselves from that which is evil, that which is not pleasing to God. (I Thessalonians 5:16-22 – NASB)
There you have it brethren . . . just a portion of walking orders from the Book, from the Manual for our code of conduct. Loving commands from the One we love first and foremost.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do so with the intent of following God’s code of conduct.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas