As we approach Christmas Day, consider a text from the book of Hebrews. Here we have a conversation in the heavens, a divine insight into the coming into the world of the second Person of the Trinity.
- “For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. Therefore, when He come into the world, He says, ‘Sacrifices and offering Thou hast not desired. But a body Thou hast prepared for Me . . . Behold, I have come (in the roll of the book it is written of Me) to do Thy will, O God . . .’ Then He said, ‘Behold, I have come to do Thy will.’ He takes away the first in order to establish the second. By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” (Hebrews 10: 4-5, 7, 9-10)
What a magnificent text regarding the miracle of Christmas. A conversation in which the Son says,
- “Sacrifices and offering (the old practices of the law – note 10:1-3) Thou hast not desired.”
So . . .
- “. . . a body Thou has prepared for Me”
And willingly the Son of God says,
- “Behold, I have come . . . to do Thy will, O God”
To take . . .
- . . . away the first in order to establish the second.”
The old system, that these who were being written to were thinking of going back to, God “hast not desired” to continue. It was “impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins,” it was impossible for this system to “make perfect those who draw near” (10:1). It only served as a reminder that a greater sacrifice was needed.
So God, in His great plan of salvation, set about to send His Son into the world. And He did this by preparing a “a body” for Him. A perfect “body” for God the Son to inhabit, “prepared” by God Himself and placed into the body of the virgin . . .
- “And the angel said to her, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bear a son, and you will name Him Jesus’ . . . And Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be, since I am a virgin?’ And the angel answered and said to her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God.’” (Luke 1:30-31, 34-35)
I am in great wonder as I read these things and I would trust that you are also. “In the roll of the book it is written” that the Promise, that the Christ, the Savior will come and He will come “to do” the “will” of “God,” that we, “through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ . . . by this will, we have been sanctified.”
Christmas . . . “when He comes into the world,” it is a most special time, a time of miracles. The non-believer pays little attention to this “power of the Most High,” but brethren, we do not. We know from what is “written . . . in the roll of the book” that God “hast prepared for . . . Jesus . . . a body.” He “came upon . . . (the) virgin . . . the power of the Most High . . . overshadow(ing)” her that she might bring forth “the holy offspring” who would be, and is, “the Son of God.”
Christmas . . . we celebrate His coming “into the world . . . ” what a glorious message we have within us for our children and for their children and for any that we might come in contact with.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may the great truths of what Christmas is all about cause you to pause and marvel and be filled with great awe.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR