We continue to look at II Timothy, chapter three, considering this day the characteristics of “evil men and imposters” as identified for us in the Word. Note first,
- “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come” (II Timothy 3:1 – NKJV)
Yes, we are to continually “know” that since the ascension of Christ into heaven, these “last days,” there will be troubled “times.” And in these “times” men will have certain characteristics about them that will be such that mark them for our attention,
- “For men will be lovers of themselves . . .” (II Timothy 3:2 – NKJV)
And out of this particular characteristic will flow. . .
Ungodly traits that mark “evil men and impostors:”
- “. . . lovers of money,
- disobedient to parents
- without self control
- lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God
- having a form of godliness but denying its power” (II Timothy 3:2-3 – NKJV)
Brethren, that is quite a list that the Holy Spirit of God desires to put to our knowledge. And we should stop and consider these things for as Paul writes at the end of this chapter,
- “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (II Timothy 3:16 – NKJV)
These characteristics of “evil men,” of “impostors,” are “breathed out” (lit., what “inspiration of God” means) and are “profitable” for us to “know.” Because we are to be a people who mark those who have these identifying marks. Why?
- “And from such people turn away” (II Timothy 3:3 – NKJV)
We who are of Christ are to “turn away” from such whose lives are lived in the sphere of the long list of “evil” characteristics. We are not to join in with them, we are not to be in cahoots with them, we are not to have their ways be our ways.
This is “doctrine” for us and “reproof” if needed and “correction” to turn us away from unrighteousness to “righteousness” that,
- “. . . the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work” (II Timothy 3:17 – NKJV)
It is imperative, God says, to “know” the characteristics of “evil men and impostors” who will be in and among us in “the last days . . . men” who are instruments of Satan to bring about “perilous times.”
Have a good day. . . and as you walk do so with biblical discernment. Know the characteristics of evil men, of impostors, and be careful not to let what they are become what you are.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas