We continue to look at II Timothy, chapter three, considering this day the characteristics of “evil men and imposters” as identified for us in the Word. Note first,
- “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come” (II Timothy 3:1 – NKJV)
Yes, we are to continually “know” that since the ascension of Christ into heaven, these “last days,” there will be troubled “times.” And in these “times” men will have certain characteristics about them that will be the such that mark them for our attention,
- “For men will be lovers of themselves . . .” (II Timothy 3:2 – NKJV)
And out of this particular characteristic will flow the following list of ungodly traits that mark “evil men and impostors:”
- “. . . lovers of money,
- disobedient to parents
- without self control
- lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God
- having a form of godliness but denying its power” (II Timothy 3:2-3 – NKJV)
Brethren, that is quite a list that the Holy Spirit of God desires to put to our knowledge. And we should stop and consider these things for as Paul writes at the end of this chapter,
- “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (II Timothy 3:16 – NKJV)
These characteristics of “evil men,” of “impostors,” are “breathed out” (lit., what “inspiration of God” means) and are “profitable” for us to “know.” Because we are to be a people who mark those who have these identifying marks. Why?
- “And from such people turn away” (II Timothy 3:3 – NKJV)
We who are of Christ are to “turn away” from such whose lives are lived in the sphere of the long list of “evil” characteristics. We are not to join in with them, we are not to be in cahoots with them, we are not to have their ways be our ways.
This is “doctrine” for us and “reproof” if needed and “correction” to turn us away from unrighteousness to “righteousness” that,
- “. . . the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work” (II Timothy 3:17 – NKJV)
It is imperative, God says, to “know” the characteristics of “evil men and impostors” who will be in and among us in “the last days . . . men” who are instruments of Satan to bring about “perilous times.”
Have a good day. . . and as you walk do so with biblical discernment, knowing the characteristics of evil men, of impostors, and be careful not to let what they are become what you are.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR