Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
The supreme question . . .
- “He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’” (Matthew 16:15)
This is indeed the supreme question . . . who do you say that Jesus is? Christians say in agreement with Peter’s reply,
- “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16)
- Jesus is the great “I AM!” – “Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am” (John 8:58)
What was the response of the Jews to this proclamation of Jesus?
- “Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him” (John 8:59) – they believe Him to be guilty of blasphemy because He claimed to be equal with God.
Cults, isms, false teachers, and false messiahs abound in our world today. As much time has passed since Jesus ascended into heaven, the devil has been hard at work building one false religion after another. There are many different names for these groups and they all have a plethora of teachings, but what we need to know about them is this, “Who do you say that Jesus is?” Note just some of their claims regarding the One who said, “I am.”
- Mormonism – Joseph Smith wrote, “Christ is the firstborn spirit Son in the eternal family, and while yet in pre-existence he advanced and progressed and became like the Father in power and intelligence; that is, he became a God.”
- Jehovah Witnesses – Charles Taze Russel noted, “The incarnation is scripturally erroneous. Indeed, if he (Christ) had been an incarnate being, he could never have redeemed mankind.”
- Scientology – L. Ron Hubbard – “Neither Lord Buddha nor Jesus Christ were Ots (i.e., Operation Thetans, enlightened beings) according to the evidence. They were just a shade above clear (i.e., relatively low on the Scientology scale of spiritual advancement).”
- Zen Buddhism – The Gospel According to Zen – “Who is Jesus? He has no name” and “Jesus” declared, “Split wood: I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.”
- Unity School of Christianity – Charles Filmore – “Most of our religious beliefs are based on the (erroneous) idea that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God . . .”
One thing is for sure, everyone has an opinion of who Jesus is. The great Bible teacher/preacher Vance Havner noted, “Jesus was the most disturbing person in history.” And He still is! He certainly left no wiggle room as to who He claimed to be and what was mandatory to believe about Him . . .
- “. . . unless you believe that I am He…” (note that “He” is in italics, added by the translators, so Jesus is saying, “unless you believe that I am,” thus claiming to be the Great I AM and giving witness that He is God) you shall die in your sins” (John 8:24)
Have a great day . . . and as you walk, be sure you have a right understanding of who Jesus is and beware of a different Jesus (II Corinthians 11:1-15).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas