Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Note our Scripture text and the warning it bears,
- “Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God . . .” (Deuteronomy 8:11 – NKJV)
As I pray in the morning, and for that matter, throughout the day, I always pray for my daughters, their husbands, and their children, and for those I know in Christ. One of the things that I pray for them is that they “do not forget the Lord (our) God.”
If you were to look into my Bible you would see a lot of markings and notes and texts that are underlined. And one of the things I have underlined, especially in the books regarding Israel’s passing into the land God promised them, is the constant warnings the Lord makes to His people . . . “Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God.” Why the constant reminders? I think you might know the answer to that . . . God knows that we have a strong tendency to stray from Him, from His Word, from His commandments, from His presence, and He knows that this does not bode well for us. The old hymn says it well,
- “Prone to wander Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love;” (Come, Thou Fount Of Every Blessing)
We live in a country that has turned away from God and His Word, a nation that seeks to relegate God to a “not important” status. Such, we are fed a steady diet of things by a culture that does not seek to have us to remember the Lord but rather, to forget Him; to render Him of little importance.
We live in a society that seems to have a gadget for our every turn in life; a TV, a smart phone, a Nook or an I-Pad or a Kindle, or a Walkman or an I-Phone, etc., etc., etc. So much else to think on, to do. We have busy lives, working, raising children, pursing entertainments, getting together with other people. Going to and fro . . . planning this and planning that, looking forward to this or that. So preoccupied with the things of this world . . . so busy . . . seems oh so little time to do it all. Our nation is like Israel, would you not agree? It has become a nation that has forgotten the One who made it what it “was.” God forbid that we would forget the One who has made us what we are (Ephesians 1:3; 2:1-22).
Another enemy that I constantly pray does not overtake me or my loved ones, my brothers and sisters in Christ, is apathy. For when one becomes apathetic toward the things of God it is difficult to recover . . . and so we “wander” from our Lord and we “forget the Lord (our) God.”
“Beware!” The word carries a warning, a call to take note for there is potential trouble ahead. “Beware” brethren . . . lest you and those around you that you love “wander” away from our Lord, that we “forget” Him and His Word. Remember that it is “by His doing you are in Christ Jesus” (I Corinthians 1:30) and that you were poor, but in Christ, you have been made rich (II Corinthians 8:9), that you were lost but now you are found (Luke 19:10). Do not forget the Lord! Make a point to pray this for others and for yourself. Our nation may desire to move away from God, from His commandments, but we who are His must not allow it to happen in our lives and we should be steadfast to earnestly pray it does not happen in the lives of those we love.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk take note of God’s Word, beware, and do not forget the Lord your God.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas