From the book of First Corinthians,
- “Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree, and there be no divisions among you, but you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment” (I Corinthians 1:10 – NASB)
As we should already know there were many problems with the congregation of believers in Corinth. But that is not to say that other church assemblies didn’t also suffer from difficulties. One need only read the other letters of Paul and those of Peter and the author of Hebrews to know that.
Someone has written, “The days of the early church were the days of its greatest power because they were days of its greatest unity.”
- “And day by day continuing with one mind . . . And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul . . . and abundant grace was upon them all” (Acts 2:46; 4:32=33 – NASB)
But it didn’t take long before “divisions” started to set in, disagreements, schisms. We know don’t we that where there are people there are bound to be contentions. Therefore it is not surprising that the New Testament contains numerous calls to unity, to restoration, to be of the same mind.
- “Be of the same mind toward one another . . . Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind . . . that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 12:16; 15:5-6 – NASB)
- “. . . that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel . . . Make my joy complete by being of the same mind” (Philippians 1:27; 2:2 – NASB)
- “Finally, brethren, rejoice, be made complete, be comforted, be like-minded” (II Corinthians 13:11 – NASB)
Unity . . . if you read the Lord’s prayer in John 17 you’ll see the call for it. Jesus prays for His church, that it be set apart in the truth and thus be one just as He and the Father are one. A blessed unity that serves to witness to the world that Jesus the Christ was sent by God the Father (John 17:17-21).
In striving to be of the same mind we must remember that the call of God is that our unity be “of the Spirit” and “of the faith” (Ephesians 4:3, 13). We are to earnestly seek after unity, to seek to be “like-minded.” But take note, being of the same mind, as the Bible instructs believers to be, never calls for compromising the truth of God’s Word. It is written that we have the mind of Christ (I Corinthians 2:16), so as we seek to be of the same mind let His Word be that which teaches us just how to do that.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk understand biblical unity and earnestly seek to be of the same mind toward one another, a same mind that is set apart by the truth.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR