Our text for this new day is from Psalm 106,
- “Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting even to everlasting. And let all the people say, ‘Amen.’” (Psalm 106:48 – NASB)
Maybe you’ve seen it or heard it, for I have been in churches where the preacher makes his point from Scripture then, in seeking the congregations agreement says, “Can I get an ‘Amen?'” And many will then heartily speak out, “Amen!” What they are saying is, “that’s right.”
We who have had anytime at all in Scripture or listened to sermons from the Word have heard the word “Amen.” I would be almost certain that if we have prayed we have used this word at the end of our prayers.
In the Old Testament the word is used often and speaks of one being in agreement with what has been said. Most commonly coming at the end of a statement, “it thus confirms the preceding words and invokes their fulfillment” (Zodhiates). It is a very active word that has always seemed to this writer to be a heart-felt confirmation at the end of a true statement!
The Greek word in the New Testament is very often translated, “verily,” or, “truly.” Our Lord used this word to start many of His statements, using it with the idea of confirming what He was about to say to be true. Note,
- “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” (John 5:24 – NASB)
It could be translated here, “Amen, amen, I say to you,” with Jesus making a point that what He is about to say is truth. One might say it is meant to emphasize authoritative words, which, coming from Christ, they are. For they are truth coming from the very mouth of the God-man, from the Creator to the created. It should always be the reader’s responsibility to make special note when Jesus starts a statement with “Amen,” or, “Verily,” or, “Truly.” Zodhiates, in his definition of the Greek word, states that when Jesus starts a statement in this way “it could be rendered , ‘I who am the Amen (Truth itself) tell you as a most certain and infallible truth.” That understood, go back and read the aforementioned text from John 5:24 again. Understand that this is divine truth, a most important truth, and oh so precious a truth!
It is interesting to note that this word is used for Christ in The Revelation, chapter three.
- “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this:” (Revelation 3:14 – NASB)
Jesus the Christ, the “Head” of the churches (Ephesians 1:22) to which He speaks, refers to Himself as “the Amen.” As a noun referring to Him it implies to us that He is “the faithful and true Witness.” Jesus Christ is, “The Witness of Truth,” the One in whom we can trust. He faithfully conveys truth with the greatest authority! He is, “The Amen!” And to that we say . . . . . . “Amen!”
Have a great day brethren . . . and as you walk do so in submission to the words of He who is the great I AM, the Amen!
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas