Our text for this new day is from Psalm 106,
- “Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting even to everlasting. And let all the people say, ‘Amen.’” (Psalm 106:48 – NASB)
Maybe you’ve seen it or heard it, for I have been in churches where the preacher makes his point from Scripture then, in seeking the congregations agreement says, “Can I get an ‘Amen?'” And many will then heartily speak out, “Amen!” What they are saying is, “that’s right.”
We who have had anytime at all in Scripture or listened to sermons from the Word have heard the word “Amen.” I would be almost certain that if we have prayed we have used this word at the end of our prayers.
In the Old Testament the word is used often and speaks of one being in agreement with what has been said. Most commonly coming at the end of a statement, “it thus confirms the preceding words and invokes their fulfillment” (Zodhiates). It is a very active word that has always seemed to this writer to be a heart-felt confirmation at the end of a true statement!
The Greek word in the New Testament is very often translated, “verily,” or, “truly.” Our Lord used this word to start many of His statements, using it with the idea of confirming what He was about to say to be true. Note,
- “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” (John 5:24 – NASB)
It could be translated here, “Amen, amen, I say to you,” with Jesus making a point that what He is about to say is truth. One might say it is meant to emphasize authoritative words, which, coming from Christ, they are. For they are truth coming from the very mouth of the God-man, from the Creator to the created. It should always be the reader’s responsibility to make special note when Jesus starts a statement with “Amen,” or, “Verily,” or, “Truly.” Zodhiates, in his definition of the Greek word, states that when Jesus starts a statement in this way “it could be rendered , ‘I who am the Amen (Truth itself) tell you as a most certain and infallible truth.” That understood, go back and read the aforementioned text from John 5:24 again. Understand that this is divine truth, a most important truth, and oh so precious a truth!
It is interesting to note that this word is used for Christ in The Revelation, chapter three.
- “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this:” (Revelation 3:14 – NASB)
Jesus the Christ, the “Head” of the churches (Ephesians 1:22) to which He speaks, refers to Himself as “the Amen.” As a noun referring to Him it implies to us that He is “the faithful and true Witness.” Jesus Christ is, “The Witness of Truth,” the One in whom we can trust. He faithfully conveys truth with the greatest authority! He is, “The Amen!” And to that we say . . . . . . “Amen!”
Have a great day brethren . . . and as you walk do so in submission to the words of He who is the great I AM, the Amen!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR